speedometer

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck232

Reaction score
1985 Aspencade digital dash. the other day my speedo quit working and on my next stop i wiggled the sensor and all was well today i took offf on a 150 mile trip and 33 miles in it stopped i pulled over and tapped it with a screw driver handle and it worked for a couple miles. when i got to my destination i pulled it apart and it was full of what i am guessing some sort of dielectric grease i cleaned up the contact area where it meets that little wheel which will turn without the wheel turning which leads me to think there must be a gear in there of some sort that might be bad. I put it all together spun the wheel and had a speedo again. On my trip home all was fine for about a half and hour then it started jumping to various speeds and finally quit. What would be my next thing i need to do to fix this in your opinion?

Buck, you can remove the sensor from the front wheel and leave the wire harness connected to it. Using a voltmeter, backprobe the connectors black/brown and black/yellow terminal. Using a screwdriver inserted into the sensor end, with the ignition switch on, slowly turn the sensor one turn while watching the voltmeter, it should swing to about five volts, eight times during one turn of the sensor. If it doesn't check the wiring, connectors and the blk/grn ground coming from the sensor. If their all good it's time for a new sensor.

:smilie_happy: Well thanks joe, that's an honor coming from you with all your experience and knowledge of goldwings. Actually I just happen to be studying up on the 1200 LCD dash when buck ask the question and it was all laid out in front of me. :mrgreen: I'm trying to learn these 1200's inside out.