Starter chain

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the culprit is... A cracked starter housing where the planetary gears meet the main starter body. Basically, if the starter was not under tension, such as when I pulled it to test it, the end shaft would turn the sprocket. When it was under tension, such as when it tried to turn the starter chain, the ring gear on the outside of the planetary gear would spin in the housing. I never even thought to look for that since the starter spun when I looked at it. So, now I have the engine out and the back cover off. I have been wanting to get in there to take a look anyway so it was not totally wasted, but I sure could have saved a lot effort if I had known.

Now I have to decide if I want to go ahead and replace the water pump, etc while I have it out. It still has the original pump and one of the gaskets (not the weep hole) in that area is leaking anyway. I might also replace the rollers in the sprag clutch while I am at it. Decisions, decisions.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161160#p161160:14nwglrr said:
Andyb » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:37 pm[/url]":14nwglrr]
And the culprit is... A cracked starter housing where the planetary gears meet the main starter body. Basically, if the starter was not under tension, such as when I pulled it to test it, the end shaft would turn the sprocket. When it was under tension, such as when it tried to turn the starter chain, the ring gear on the outside of the planetary gear would spin in the housing. I never even thought to look for that since the starter spun when I looked at it. So, now I have the engine out and the back cover off. I have been wanting to get in there to take a look anyway so it was not totally wasted, but I sure could have saved a lot effort if I had known.

Now I have to decide if I want to go ahead and replace the water pump, etc while I have it out. It still has the original pump and one of the gaskets (not the weep hole) in that area is leaking anyway. I might also replace the rollers in the sprag clutch while I am at it. Decisions, decisions.
Refer back to the second post of this thread. :doh:

Here is the crack.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 68
I guess I'll start suggesting the gears be removed, cleaned, inspected as well as the housing instead of just check the starter drive head. At least you'll get some other needed maintenance done.

I ordered the sprag clutch parts because my rollers had flat spots and the pins/followers had some corrosion on them. I have bitten the bullet and ordered everything I need to replace the the water pump. I will go ahead and switch out the thermostat, too. Might do the timing belts. They are due by cautious standards as they are about 5 years and 20,000 miles old. It sure will be a lot easier to do with it on a bench. I also ordered a Stocker starter to replace the broken one. Everything I have read about them is that they are high quality.

I have cleaned out the oil return screen and it was not bad at all. It turns out that other than the gunk on the top of the stator, there is very little gunk in this engine. I am pretty darn happy about that.

Now I just have to peel the old gaskets off and wait for the new parts to arrive. Those gaskets are really on there. Anybody have a tip to get them off?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161170#p161170:8h93d5n3 said:
slabghost » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:05 pm[/url]":8h93d5n3]
I guess I'll start suggesting the gears be removed, cleaned, inspected as well as the housing instead of just check the starter drive head. At least you'll get some other needed maintenance done.

Which gears are suggesting I clean? I am not planning to tear into the transmission.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161173#p161173:m9zar08t said:
Andyb » Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:13 pm[/url]":m9zar08t]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161170#p161170:m9zar08t said:
slabghost » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:05 pm[/url]":m9zar08t]

Which gears are suggesting I clean? I am not planning to tear into the transmission.
The ones you show in the picture. In the starter drive head.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161176#p161176:2g3aqrv5 said:
slabghost » Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:19 pm[/url]

The ones you show in the picture. In the starter drive head.[/quote]
I am just getting a new starter. I was typing that out as you posted your suggestions. Since the housing is cracked, I figured I would just replace it.

Yes I was just saying that had I suggested those gears be cleaned and inspected you may have found that crack before removing the motor.

Well, the parts have started arriving. The starter came today and everything else will getting here over the next few days. I am anxious to get this done.

It is going to be a snap to get the starter in with the the motor out and the rear cover off, Joe. Maybe you should pull your engine, too. :smilie_happy:

I have everything to button up the real cover. Do I need to use gasket sealer or just tighten up everything to torque spec?

I have the rear case closed up now. That included new guts for the starter clutch, a good cleaning of everything including the bits of gunk on the stator and a new starter as well. So far the worst part was getting the old gasket cleaned off. It was like concrete.

Next up-install a new water pump and new timing belts while I am at it. I figure I will give the carbs a cleaning since they are off.