Starter issues

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dano

Reaction score
I just recently replaced my 1980-I starter and battery and the second time I tried to start it, it seems as though the starter is not fully engaging to spin the starter clutch. I cleaned the terminals on the start button so I know that is not an issue, is it possible that my solenoid is malfunctioning? If so, has anyone replaced the honda solenoid with an aftermarket unit such as the older ford automotive unit with any success?

Might sound silly, but when was your oil changed last? As the oil gets dirty (and thicker) it tends to make the starter clutch not grab. If the solenoid is bad (and it could be) usually the starter will not spin at all, just click.

Best to use oil that says it's for motorcycles or avoid any oils that say "enhanced lubricity" or any such thing. Many of the car blends these days are not wet clutch friendly. They will cause the starter clutch to slip and the transmission clutch to slip.