Stuck carb slides

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan filipi

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1983 Interstate
2018 KLR 650
2018 BMW S1000 RR
My Bike Logs forum link
https://classicgoldwings.com/forums/dan-filipi.122/
I have an 83 carb rack that sat with gas in it for at least 10 years. It has a 1/4 inch of shellac or whatever it is in the bottom of the bowls.

All the slides are stuck and won't pull out.

What tricks do ya'll have up your sleeve to free them up?
I know I can't twist them because there's a notch which prevents this.

I've soaked one with PB blaster, still stuck.
These carbs are in very good condition. I don't think they've ever been opened up so I want to restore them to original and even keep the original mixture limiters with the tabs.

As they sit the intake runners are still on.
I'm going to remove them and try more PB blaster but any other ideas welcome.

Boil them in distilled water. I had a '75 carb that was totally froze up and after ~15 in the boiling water bath, the parts practically fell out.

Yeah I'm still looking for a big container for the same reason. The larger pans they use in restaurants and cafeterias (for salad bars etc...) look promising but I have no idea where to get one (especially at a price I want to pay.)

Do NOT use carb cleaner, it'll eat up the diaphragm if it gets on it. Don't ask me how I know. :head bang:

Really, get a deep cheap aluminum roaster pan from the grocery like you would bake a turkey in. Place carbs in pan, dilute some clear vinegar 50% with water and fill as much of the pan as you can. Set oven for 250 degrees, after 1 hour turn over in pan and bake an additional 30 minutes. Try to work them. If still stuck, back an additional hour. Hopefully that will free them up.

the best trix is pateince ...i like to use aft and something to thin it some liike diesil as it dosnt hurt thre rubber in the carbs i cant see using something thar for sure trashes the rubber...it just takes time to all you can to unstick it without hurting them from to aggressive of tactics ....they been stuck a long time ....gerry ideal of having them soaking arund the clock in aft or aft mix with diesil is a good one ...if the slides wont buge clean the ouutside of them and everything alse you can ....till the slides are good and ready to come out good luck dan and pateince

The best knoker loose/pb blaster that money can by is a home brew of 50% ATF and 50% acetone. Google it and you'll know what I'm talking about.

Fitz

Sounds like it would work, how do you combine them, isn't one in a spray form? Just pour into a jar or something and mix in the pb stuff??? How do you do it, hey maybe put the combo liquid into a empty 3 in 1 container and put a label of crossbone's on it...Call it breaker breaker...I bet that combo works well but ya forgot the lemon juice too... Pure lemon juice will get it by itself.. :Egyptian:

No no Beav, forget the pb blaster I was just using that as reference. Just the ATF and acetone is all you need to mix together.

Fitz

Thanks I have both and I think most do so that will be used next time I need to free something upp Thank you...