sure enough it was a head gasket

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke Seel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure enough, I pulled the right head and found a blown head gasket. Took the left off and had a look at it also, it was OK but I would have replaced it anyway. Cylinders look good so new gaskets and I'm back in business . I remember reading a old post and someone said Honda had changed the torque specs, my old manual says to step the torque up to 40 lbs. I also could use a good source for OEM head gaskets. Looks like all I can find are the gold plated ones.

yes and its fake gold too .. but priced as real gold ... head gaskets is like darkside ? ...personally ill never pay the kind of money Honda wants for there gaskets they don't make ever... but that's me ..pthers fill different ... to your ? I don't know where to get best price for Honda gaskets

I torgue mine down to 42, run it till it gets up to temp. let it cool off over night, recheck and re-torgue mine to 44, you've always got a plus-minus on a torgue wrench. I've always had good luck with them this way. You can try Partzilla.com for cheaper prices on oem Honda Head gaskets or anything else that honda will sell you for parts usually, you can save some money, not a lot, but some is better than none, Honda will stick it to you... :rant:

I did about the same as above. I might have gone to 47 on the second torquing. I think the head gasket torque increase was for the 1000 engines only.

I bought my OE head gaskets from this feller on fleabay.....great service, and he answered all my questions correctly. :good:
Free shipping, too! :yes:

minitrail69