tach/dwell meter

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have all manuals, randakks carb rebuild-haynes-clymers--all say to hook up tach, no bodys says where-hoped i could get info here- turned screws out 2 1/2 turns and bike ran better-adjusting screws is so difficult, even with tool-would be even worse with bike running-makes single carb setup look attractive.thanks

the neg. wire to the coil(between the coil and the cdi or points) is the right place to hookup a tachometer.
if its not working you should try hooking it to something else to test the tach.

I've never used the tach way either, but I might try sometime. You are hooking it in parallel to either the blue or yellow wire?

I don't have a clue how many turns out, but I did make a cute tool to adjust the screws. It is a screwdriver tip attached to a wheel with notches in it, on the end of a handle. A separate bent screwdriver moves the notches, turning the tip. Mine runs so well now, I'd hate to move anything.

Let us know how you make out. It seems like nobody really does the idle drop method described?

dan filipi":2wobewz4 said:
brianinmaine":2wobewz4 said:
It seems like nobody really does the idle drop method described?

I do mine by ear.

Doesn't that hurt? :headscratch:

How sensitive IS this setting, anyway? Will a few RPMs difference make that much of a change in the mixture?

AApple":mr4rpyj7 said:
How sensitive IS this setting, anyway? Will a few RPMs difference make that much of a change in the mixture?

The idle screws mixture can make a small difference over the low to mid power band. In my experience not much difference in performance from being set dead on perfect. Let's face it, the jets will wear from years of fluid and fine particles passing thru them which alone will cause it to run richer, a slight difference at idle (adjustment) isn't going to make much difference in MPG or performance.
If you were after a perfect "showroom" tune I believe in most cases on an engine that has over 50k miles all jets need to be replaced.

dan filipi":3muf87s7 said:
brianinmaine":3muf87s7 said:
It seems like nobody really does the idle drop method described?

I do mine by ear.
I play piano by ear! Just tough getting the band aids on afterwards! :help: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

All you have to do is, turn the pilot screws out 2 1/2 turns out, and set your bikes tachometer idle to around 1050-1100 rpms. Take it for a ride and see how it drives. This is how mine is set-up, and it runs great, all though the rpm range.
Hondaman

set screws 2.5 , runs ok-will try to set rpm to that range-probably need to go back and reset with mercury stick after adjustment- i suppose i am so used to fuel injection that i am trying to get same crisp throttle response on low end, bike seems to be slow on initial throttle. like to see pictures of home made tool to adjust carbs-# 1 carb is very difficult to access.

Someone, perhaps it was brianinmaine, posted a couple of pics of a home-made tool for adjusting the carbs. I can't remember in what forum it was, tho. I hope it wasn't before the "crash" last year!!

brianinmaine":1ucvsfm0 said:
looks like a good deal for the tool. Mine was cheaper but a lot of work. The other tools are like $70 - no way I'm paying that.

This is what I use, Not home made but pretty cheap $14.50 Buy it Now
81512554_tp.jpg

Latest posts