Tag A Long to the Rescue!!!!

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the trailer mostly finished tonight! :yahoo:

Ran into an issue: first time I tried to connect to the hitch, it would not go? Loosened the nut underneath until it came out, pulled the latch and the bottom part of the hitch would not come down far enough to allow the hitch to go over the ball. It is a 1 7/8" ball and hitch. (It slipped on fairly easily when the ball was in my hand?) I put my bike up on the center stand and made sure it was even with the tounge of the trailer and bike was centered. I know it is new, but thought it would a bit easier.

Once I coaxed it on, I tightened the nut underneath until the spring pressure was tight when I dropped the latch. Towed real easy! Went to disconnect and ran into the same issue. I had to use a pry bar to get the hitch to release from the bottom part again. When they are connected it moves around fine, no binding.

Are these hitches always this tight?

Pics coming!

Photo update!

First thing I did tonight was install the trailer hitch to the old girl! Fits like a champ!

image.php

image.php

image.php

Gerry-
I think I ran into the same issue.....IIRC, my solution involved spreading the hitch itself apart about an 1/8" so the bottom part was free to move. Sounds like you are having the exact same problem I had. Also make sure you grease the movable parts rather well (after you spread the body open a smidge.....

Next was a trip to NJ DMV to get my tag! At first, the clerk looked at the Title, saw it originated in China and wanted to know if it was real? :Doh2: :smilie_happy: (Yep, it was real) :yes:

Finished the paper work and walked out with my new trailer tag!! :yahoo: Start working on locating the best place for it. Also, followed KYWinger's idea and purchased LED tag bolts to light up the tag at night and added reflective striping around the ends:

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144495#p144495:2w2mxoyi said:
KYWinger » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:00 pm[/url]":2w2mxoyi]
Gerry-
I think I ran into the same issue.....IIRC, my solution involved spreading the hitch itself apart about an 1/8" so the bottom part was free to move. Sounds like you are having the exact same problem I had. Also make sure you grease the movable parts rather well (after you spread the body open a smidge.....
I will have to check that John! Seems like I over tightened the bolts through the tongue. Of course I did that because the hitch assembly was real loose when the nuts bottom out on the assembly so I kept on tightening. :Doh2:

Next, finish the hinge on the cargo top and test out the gas shocks.....smooth! Gotta tell ya, this thing will hold a LOT of cargo!!

image.php

image.php

I am impressed for the amount of money spent, it sure is a nice little trailer!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144499#p144499:3eah1s1i said:
dan filipi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:08 pm[/url]":3eah1s1i]
and always use a good quality locking pin when connected to make sure it can't pop up.
\
Amen to that, Dan. I took my 1800 out for the first time on Sunday; I installed the Rivco tongue with the lock pin (I thought) - came home.....no tongue :head bang: :head bang:
Cost to have a new one sent to me??? $90!!!!
ALWAYS make the lock locks....nuff said....

Only thing left is to wire up the bike. Just waiting on the wiring converter to come in the mail. I also have to finish wiring in the license plate LED's as well as the LED brake lights I added. No point trying to point them out, they blend right in with the black until the lights come on.

I did find that the trailer wiring was bit different than I expected. All of the reading up on the Tag A long indicated that there was one ground wire to the trailer chassis. This one has the white wire (negative) going to each light individually for all of the lights including the side marker lights. maybe they upgraded the wiring in 2012?

After hitching her up earlier, of course I had to take her around the block! :party:

This old gal didn't even know that trailer was back there! (I didn't either). Although it is empty at the moment, there was no sway or tugging at all.

When stopping and starting, I was reminded that I missed one of the steps suggested by others.....add a friction block or tire tread to the spring so it doesn't bounce against the frame. Guess what, when you don't add the spacer, the spring bounces against the frame and reminds you it is back there! :oops: :shock: :hihihi:

(I shall add that to my list to complete this trailer.)

Next test, drop the Vetter faring and all of its parts into the trailer to test it with a load and prep for the trip to Brian's!

One more question, the safety chains are fairly long. They do not touch the ground when attached at all, but not sure how long they should be. Also, there are two holes in the bike hitch to accept the chains, but do you just drop the S hooks into the holes and hope for the best? Seems like they should be fastened to the hitch with shackles?

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144503#p144503:1vld14nl said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:17 am[/url]":1vld14nl]
Only thing left is to wire up the bike. Just waiting on the wiring converter to come in the mail. I also have to finish wiring in the license plate LED's as well as the LED brake lights I added. No point trying to point them out, they blend right in with the black until the lights come on.

I did find that the trailer wiring was bit different than I expected. All of the reading up on the Tag A long indicated that there was one ground wire to the trailer chassis. This one has the white wire (negative) going to each light individually for all of the lights including the side marker lights. maybe they upgraded the wiring in 2012?
Much better system in my opinion. :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=144505#p144505:6zzk35m5 said:
mcgovern61 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:32 am[/url]":6zzk35m5]
One more question, the safety chains are fairly long. They do not touch the ground when attached at all, but not sure how long they should be. Also, there are two holes in the bike hitch to accept the chains, but do you just drop the S hooks into the holes and hope for the best? Seems like they should be fastened to the hitch with shackles?

I prefer shackles, here in Oz you must use rated D shackles in most cases now for trailers.

Latest posts