Thinking solo seat

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it's been a while since I did anything with my backrest. Got sidetracked with buying my old GS750 back.

So recently I went ahead and finished my backrest, making it smaller as some folks had suggested. :builder: It is pretty much a poor copy of the Utopia BR now. :BigGrin:

But it works very well...quite a revelation actually. Makes riding way, way more comfortable. And an unexpected benefit is that I can ride quite comfortably, at highway speeds, with no windshield. Instead of struggling to overcome the force of the wind the BR takes it all and no buffeting. I always preferred riding in the open wind but found it tiring but not now. :rocks:

I am such a cheapskate, now that I am retired...the only thing I've bought for the BR is a piece of leatherette for $9. All the rest I made out of stuff I had kicking around the garage. I literally found the foam I used on the side of the road. I spotted a sofa cushion that must have blown off someone's truck, so I stopped and picked it up.LOL :smilie_happy: :fishin:

Here is the finished product, although I might get an upholsterer to make a better pad.

Thanks...that would be me.

I just folded in the corners so the sides were at right angles to the front, sewed them by hand, and then cut away the excess on the inside. I think a pro would have separate pieces for the front and sides with piping at the seams. But that is beyond my abilities and budget right now.

But at least now I know the size and basic setup work well and it makes my riding way more enjoyable.

Brian

Latest posts