Timing belt cover gaskets

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mysteryrider

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok to the point of pulling my hair out once I got my wing up on a lift I found that the right side covers gasket did not seal right on bottom. so loosened radiator and pulled cover put it back on and this time the top had slipped so now looking at either using silicone on it again and hope for the best on keeping the seal in place sliding it back in or option 2 I am debating is using a little hot glue to attach the gasket to the cover so I know the dang thing stays in place and doesn't knock loose sliding back in..... any thoughts suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated

couple of things I use are 3M weatherstripping adhesive, it is yellow and kind of messy but holds tight.
E6000 is a kind of glue/silicone..Harder then silicone and sets pretty fast, cleans up good, comes in clear and black and is available at wal mart.
I wouldn't use hot glue, I would use something more flexible.

Just did this last week and yep you can pull your hair out if you try to just hold them on while fitting the covers! :Awe:

I cleaned my gaskets and covers real good and then used good old fashioned silicone in the gasket groove and set the gaskets gently onto the covers. Flipped the covers over and gently set them on the floor to let the weight of the covers set the silicone.

Waited about 4 hours while doing other work. Picked them up and,....voila! The gaskets are fitted to the covers and staying right where I need them!

I've used silicone over and over and over lol I keep knocking the dang thing off sliding it in even used it and let it sit a couple of days...... that was massive frustration setting in lol :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :head bang: :head bang:

Have you cleaned the gasket with degreaser first and then paint thinner? It has to be absolutely clean for the silicone to adhere to the rubber. Otherwise, it will be squishy mess!

I don't slide the right side except for the last 1/4" and ever so gently.

3M Weatherstrip Adhesive, used sparingly will hold the gaskets just fine. Silicone on rubber is too slick, unless you let it sit until the silicon cures, then it'll work otay. :good:

up on the operating table lol

Attachments

• 20140611_123444.jpg
    20140611_123444.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 116
Double sided tape is your best friend in this instance. I just cut several thin strips and stick it to the covers at several places and then peel the backing and attach the seal to the cover. I have no hair to pull out, so it helped tremedously in that respect.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120869#p120869:47czlt62 said:
brianinpa » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:46 pm[/url]":47czlt62]
I have no hair to pull out, so it helped tremedously in that respect.
:smilie_happy: :hihihi: