Tire rub

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I pulled the rear wheel off my '83 GL1100I and noticed the there was a rub line all the way around the right side of the tire. I looked at the swingarm and it looks like there is a spot on the right, forward of the rear axle where the tire has been rubbing. How do you straighten that? You can see if you zoom in on photo. Thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 189
Normally if the tire rubs it's the other side. It's hard to tell from the picture but is that the widest point of the tire? Usually the widest point is at the edge of the tread. Are there any wear marks on the side bag frame?

Pretty odd but not unheard of. Some tires "grow" a bit more than others. That is they swell once aired up. Some have ground off a little of the swingarm and some have ground off some of the tire. Most seem to just change tires. Before doing any of those you might want to check the drive unit. Rear wheel bearings and swingarm alignment. If the tire is tracking just a bit left of straight it can cause rubbing. Also check the swingarm for any side play.

HI Neighbor from Citra Fl currently in IND. for summer. I have 82 1100 with a similar problem with rear tier. Running Shinko 230 140 on rear. I had a rub on left side and had to bent anchor rod to caliper for clearance that solved the problem. On right side I have just 1/8 to 1/4 inch just barely enough clearance. I have 82 swing arm that I can look at on work bench there is an extra layer of metal for protection on outside of swing arm that could give about 1/8 to 3/16 max more room. I haven't done that yet. Just keeping a close eye for marks and for the smell of hot rubber. Keeping 42 lbs in rear tier and 50 lbs plus in rear shocks for riding two up. I like the Shinko 230's the 140 is just an ill fitting for the 82 1100 a 130 would be better but the owner manual calls for a 140 tier. Don't know if the 83 1100 is the same as 82 though. Just my experience on he 82 1100 Jerry

From memory, and I believe I'm thinking back 10 years now, there are two spacers on the rear wheel axle, one either side. And this will occur if they are installed the wrong way round!

I'm sure someone will tell me that's BS if I'm wrong. :shock: :wave:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158349#p158349:2qwela2b said:
jpwinger » Today, 11:41 am[/url]":2qwela2b]
HI Neighbor from Citra Fl currently in IND. for summer. I have 82 1100 with a similar problem with rear tier. Running Shinko 230 140 on rear. I had a rub on left side and had to bent anchor rod to caliper for clearance that solved the problem. On right side I have just 1/8 to 1/4 inch just barely enough clearance. I have 82 swing arm that I can look at on work bench there is an extra layer of metal for protection on outside of swing arm that could give about 1/8 to 3/16 max more room. I haven't done that yet. Just keeping a close eye for marks and for the smell of hot rubber. Keeping 42 lbs in rear tier and 50 lbs plus in rear shocks for riding two up. I like the Shinko 230's the 140 is just an ill fitting for the 82 1100 a 130 would be better but the owner manual calls for a 140 tier. Don't know if the 83 1100 is the same as 82 though. Just my experience on he 82 1100 Jerry

Hey Jerry! Let me know when you get back and maybe we can take a ride! I'll buy you lunch if you can help me figure this out! :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=158374#p158374:2erhaewi said:
chilidawg » 19 minutes ago[/url]":2erhaewi]
From memory, and I believe I'm thinking back 10 years now, there are two spacers on the rear wheel axle, one either side. And this will occur if they are installed the wrong way round!

I'm sure someone will tell me that's BS if I'm wrong. :shock: :wave:

That would make sense since it's a pretty new tire so maybe when they put it back together they did this!

Since this is about tire rub, I'll post mine...

This is after my last aggressive ride in the canyons.
Tire is the E2 90x16x78.

Left side.
This looks like a rub but a rub would be something new. Never did this before and that point on the tire isn't the widest point.
image.php

Don't know what's going on here on the right side. Guess I need to get under there for a closer look.
image.php

well I only had tire rub on my 80 when I replaced the rear tire with a tire off the 82......found that the 82 is smaller and wider. rode it down the street a mile and smoked the tire. :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Don't mix 80 and 82 unless you check first. :head bang:

Yes the 80 is a 17 inch rim and the 82 is a 16 inch rim. The 80 is in Citra Fl. not sure but I think it is a 130 wide and the 82 called for a 140 wide. I have 3 wings and they all have different size rims and tiers. Jerry