To those who have lost a timing belt...

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/quote]
I enjoy going through all the posts even if it's a different post on the same subject area. The old saying 'there's more than one way to skin a cat" is true. Not that I want to skin a cat :eek: .

A DEER would have sounded proper :mrgreen: .Not that I have anything against them eitheir. :smilie_happy:

when i get home today around noon iwill post a how to in this thread .....ive been working last night till early this morning ....ihave no pics to post on the deal but i dont think it will matter ....it will be just what ive figure out to do to make this as easy as possible and right ......the right way is always the easyest and the safest

i always want to help others with there bikes but my lack of computer skills is just plain laughable after all this time or id do more and im trying to get better ....it didnt help much when my camera quit working ....iwant to get my hammer out and fix it good :rant: :hihihi: :ahem: :mrgreen:

joedrum":dm8472ov said:
when i get home today around noon iwill post a how to in this thread .....ive been working last night till early this morning ....ihave no pics to post on the deal but i dont think it will matter ....it will be just what ive figure out to do to make this as easy as possible and right ......the right way is always the easyest and the safest

i always want to help others with there bikes but my lack of computer skills is just plain laughable after all this time or id do more and im trying to get better ....it didnt help much when my camera quit working ....iwant to get my hammer out and fix it good :rant: :hihihi: :ahem: :mrgreen:
Hey Joe, if I didn't have my 13 daughter and wife helping me half the time I wouldn't be able to post photo's ect. I am a bit slow at computer's too..I learn quickly though..And I ask a lot of questions..I'm looking forward to your instruction's, I have a totally different way of changing the belt's I'll tell ya later, it's my way and I'm positive nobody else has thought of it because I'm different that way.. :grin: Or if you guy's want to read it go to the Saunder site, I think it's on page 8 :grin: few year's ago..of the timing belt change [octane's]

im going to assume that we are that were taking the radiator loose grill remove and hoses still attached so it can come forward some to get at timing belt cover bolts .....i dont have to on my bikes cause i dont use the inner bolts on the covers .......

either blow the motor off with air if you have it and busch it off too the best you can everywhere you can get at ...around the heads ...timing belt covers ...by the timing mark cap and so on .....

then pull the plug wires off and clean more ....and blow out the plug holes with air from mecanical or human meeams...

takes plugs out and put plug wires back in place like caps ....

take the timing covers off

now take the valve covers off....and timing mark cover off the top of the mortor in the back ...

now useing the crank bolt nut i front of the motor turn it clockwise to T1 possition and then turn the crank bolt 90 degees more to sink the pistons haftway back all around ....you can actualy check this by sticking something in the plug hole to see if the pistons are equal if one side is the other side is too

now loosen the valves by undoing the lock nut and turning the adjusters all the way back inside the rocker and then snug te lock nut down so they dont vibrate loose and come out ....do all the valves this way

now loosen timing belt tensoner and take belts of....making sure that the crank is still in the sunk in possition with the pistons .....

now turn the timing belt pullys to as close to the timing mark on the pullys as you can with the up mark on the pully up on both sides ....again while the crank is still in the piston sunk possition

now turn the crank to the T1 possition and put the belt on while holding the pully in possition on the mark by hand what i do .....its not all that hard with all the valves loose....when you think you have it check the timing mark and crank are still right ...it might be off if it is line it back up on the mark and then check the cam pully for being right it might be off ....just keep redoing the belt till you get it ...its seems it takes me two or three times to get sometimes ....once you get it let the adjuster snug in the belt without pushing hard just snug in and tighten some both bolts ......then go to the other side the outer belt and put it on and keep at it till it right and tighten it ......

during putting the belts on you dont want to move the crank except back and forth right at the mark never go around at all.....

now tha the belts are on ....and everyting looks good ....turn the motor over slowly with the crank bolt and feel for resistance go slow .....when you think it fine and nothing hitting do it again.....

now that your confident everything is good it time to adjust the valves ....this is where my mind is letting me down some anyway ...turn the crank to T1 agin and check what clylinder has both valves loose and the exhast valve loose too on the back piston onthat side ....this is the valve that ready for valve adjustment .....do it ...to .004 thousants feeler guage....then move to T2 and find witch back clylinder has both valves loose and the intake on the front clylinder loose also and adjust that back clylinder....then to T1 and do the other front cylinder and then to T2 and do the other back cylinder .....

after this is done then turn the crank slowly with the crank bolt and check for resistance or hitting of the valves ....it will be a tad harder with the spring pressure now ....if it looks like things are good do it again and again ...

put the timing mark cover on and the valves covers ....plugs in ....wires back on ...things cleaned up and out of the way ....and start it .....things will be fine

i may have the patern mess up on exhast and intake valve on suquence with front and back cylinder its seems i teach myself everytime i do it ....

maybe dan can put up some oics that will go along with the proper marks o pullys and crank marks iwil check on the 50-50 choice ihad on valve paterin..... :mrgreen:

I've done them without loosening the radiator or valve adjustment.I'ts a pain to get those inner bolts from the timming covers :builder: .And guide my selfthru the crankshaft peep hole.Once forgot to put the plug bike and went for a ride :smilie_happy: ,glad I didn't loose the plug that I left on top of the block :eek: . :beg: :mrgreen: .

carl62cycles":3tt5j561 said:
I've done them without loosening the radiator or valve adjustment.I'ts a pain to get those inner bolts from the timming covers :builder: .And guide my selfthru the crankshaft peep hole.Once forgot to put the plug bike and went for a ride :smilie_happy: ,glad I didn't loose the plug that I left on top of the block :eek: . :beg: :mrgreen: .
Yeh some guy's put in dumbie bolts in the inter bolts..I don't.. :grin:

it seems i did pretty good except for leaving the word front out in the valve adjustment sentense on T1 possistion front cylinder adjust ment T2 back clylinder adjustment.....

the best reason for rlaxing all the valves for belt change is it gives better belt tensioner possistion and more equal ...and the valve springs are not as involved in over powering the tensioner springs ......

yeah my hands are like clubs i need lot of room ....no tight spaces unless i want to paint my bike in blood :mrgreen: i hope this helps ....we need a place just for how tos so these kind of threads are easy to find .....i bet dans going to tell me its already done and im the only who cant find it :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :mrgreen:

Appreciate the good information. Got to do my belts soon. Better make my parts list and figure

out who to order from :laptop: .

If I run into any surprises I"ll let you Know.

Better watch it, I might fill that sucker up with, How I do mine, stuff.. :smilie_happy: I'm more and more amazed everyday how much this pea brain can absorb.. :smilie_happy:

littlebeaver":28b598om said:
carl62cycles":28b598om said:
Yeh some guy's put in dumbie bolts in the inter bolts..I don't.. :grin:

Hey, was looking at my timing cover and saw only two bolts. No inner bolts so the previous owner must have come across an aftermarket timing belt cover. Have you seen that before? I guess that makes my job easier. Likely the timing belt has been replaced before but still with 30,000 miles and 30 years on the bike, still a good idea to replace.

Sure you will have those covers off in no time flat..I alway's put the inner bolts back in but I know there are lot's that don't.. :grin: I like those ratchet wrenches for that.. :grin:

littlebeaver":1gx9k3ul said:
Sure you will have those covers off in no time flat..I alway's put the inner bolts back in but I know there are lot's that don't.. :grin: I like those ratchet wrenches for that.. :grin:

What I meant to say there are no holes for the center bolts. Must be an aftermarket timing belt cover. Have you seen that before? Seems like a good idea. :idea:

aslatk":miog2cmj said:
littlebeaver":miog2cmj said:

What I meant to say there are no holes for the center bolts. Must be an aftermarket timing belt cover. Have you seen that before? Seems like a good idea. :idea:
I have not... wow..How cool is that.. :grin: I don't see anything wrong with that..it sounds like you have a very cherry bike there..30.000 miles, that thing ain't even broken in yet ha ha.. do you change out your own tires and balance? If not I can learn ya..

littlebeaver":262od5kk said:
aslatk":262od5kk said:
littlebeaver":262od5kk said:

I have not... wow..How cool is that.. :grin: I don't see anything wrong with that..it sounds like you have a very cherry bike there..30.000 miles, that thing ain't even broken in yet ha ha.. do you change out your own tires and balance? If not I can learn ya..
Bought the bike as a no start. Last registered in 2007. Brought it back to life just by cleaning electrical connections and re-installing the inlet check valve in the fuel pump. Why it was just laying on the pump diaphragm is anyone's guess. Changed all fluids and gas, added 4oz of sea foam to gas and it runs great. Yes, tires look good but due to age I should replace. Was looking at tires and thought of paying for installation. But, if it's do-able for me to change and balance, I'm interested. Got to do the timing belt and valve adjustment too. Always wanted a Goldwing, got a deal on this one. It's been a long time since I owned a bike. I couldn't be happier with this one. :yahoo:
I'll take you up on your offer about the tires when I get them.
:thanks:

Changed belts about 5 months ago..On the surface the belts looked just fine but under a light and using a Eye Loupe(sp) I noticed a number of fractures. The bike had probably 45,000 on it then and the PO said he had changed the belts because it was only driven to work and back since he owned it. So hard telling but I changed them anyway using the Gates I purchased at NAPA for 23 bucks. Took me about two hours to change them correctly because it was my first time but I also changed out the tensioners while I was at it as one was loose and starting to whine. Make sure you mark the inside of the cover when you changed them last. I will change mine every 40,000 whether they need it or not. Its not really that hard and gives you a chance to check and or replace the thermostat and hoses.

aslatk":2yycw4ay said:
littlebeaver":2yycw4ay said:

Pictures, I need pictures of those timing belt covers. Would love to see those. :mrgreen: