transmission cover gasket kit.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shierh

Reaction score
I got the KP gasket kit and when installing gaskets on my 82 gl1100 I came up with one extra, about 3/4 od size. before i buttoned it up i checked several times and also on line, couldnt figure it out so I proceeded to close it up. Later on in my old parts bucket I found a used o ring the same size so i started more research, still noting. Spent hours searching as i did not want to pull it apart again. Went out later and looked at the old o ring and dry fitted it in the hole for the bypass at the thermostat housing area and it was that one, its close to the same size as the spare new oring but only so because it was flattened out,,,,,well dont i feel stupid. Anyhow there was some talk about the o ring was for the neutural switch but cant seem to find where it would have gone. Was it something to be used if i took the switch apart?

Well bottom line is that my re assembly went well, got pretty nice even torque, neutrual switch works and water pump lined up first try. I also used ohm meter to line up the switch. Its fine line between contact and off so if its on then it lines up perfectly to the mechanism if it is in neutural.

Not been taking photos but all my parts were bead blasted, primed and painted with Duplicolor Cast Aluminum paint. Doesnt match whats on the engine but it will eventually get pulled and painted, job for this summer.

There are no o-rings used with the neutral switch on an '82 engine. The ones that are about 3/4" OD are used for the oil passages, one between the oil pump outlet and the front cover, and the other between the cover and the case. They both go around metal dowels. A smaller o-ring is used between the cover and case at the coolant bypass, also using a small metal dowel. There is also an o-ring in a groove in the oil pump housing, which seals it to the water pump. Hope this helps...

Saw a posting from someone talking about the extra o ring being for the neutural switch. I have all the orings accounted for on the block. the 2 main coolant, one small coolant and the 2 oil.

well now im waiting for my valve stem seals. screwed up ordering them. only got 1 instead of 8.

Pulling other cam tonight, bead blast the cam gear/pully and the plate between the pully and head. paint both. Yes I paint stuff you never see, makes me happy.

The '80 and '81 have the neutral switch in the side of the case, and it does use an o-ring. None used on the '82 or '83 switch, just the rubber plug that the wires pass through at the top of the cover. Did you replace the o-ring on the oil pump housing?

I replaced all o rings and seals that came in the Kit. It included the water pump shaft seal. Old one was a bit tough to get out.

prior owner pained with something else. I am painting all parts with dupicolor cast aluminum and when i pull the engine this summer will sand blast an paint the rest of it.