Transmission cover oil leak-new water pump?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyb

Reaction score
I just noticed earlier this week that I have a leak between the transmission cover and the engine block. My bike Has 87,500 miles on it and it has the original water pump. Is there any conventional wisdom about how long the stock models tend to last? Money is tight and I would prefer not to add the cost of the pump to the job. But, looking at Roady's tutorial makes me think I don't want to do that job twice if the mileage makes it seem that I am close to needing a new water pump anyway.

gee any way you look at it nothing about that cover is easy what a pain ...hard choices there ... changing the pump is no picnic at all along with everything else there in that cover

With 87K, it's probably time to replace it. When you get the lower radiator hose inlet removed, you can try wiggling the pump impeller from side to side or up & down. There should be no movement at all. A little rotational play is OK. It's definitely worth the peace of mind to replace the pump while you're in there.