trouble with batteries

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly the 81 coil pack from an old parts bike I had also had a resistor just like my 83 and the picture above.
No idea if it had been changed in the past to a newer pack.
I used that resistor on my 83 coil pack, seems to be working fine.

hi fellas
problem with not starting has been solved. bad starter.
how difficult is it to replace?
used jumper cables from battery to starter directly. nothing!!!!
now i will replace it off my parts bike. am going to on a short ride on my other wheels
before it turns cold .thanks for all the help and information
later don

seems to be strait foward unbolt and replace ...just slip it out of the gear strait back and replace with other ...i dont remeber having to take much off if anything...but we have had others have all kinds of problems with parts that didnt match up ....and has been nightmares of a simple job

Yeah some say they have to pull the exhaust header to get it out.
Others say shifter won't let it slide forward enough.
Mine comes right out and back in without any of that.
The engine is an 81 1100

thanks guys for the info. i take it that the starter shaft slides back out of the gear and the gear stays nestled in the chain?
not likely the gear coming out of the chain?
my short ride got pretty windy.but had to make my almost daily pilgramage to the world famous
"pops" on rt 66 in arcadia okla. like 100 different brands of pop from all over the world.
lots of "66" riders stop to enjoy different brands. i dont usually drink coffee so had to have my coke break.
will let you know how this issue turns out.
thanks again.
don

Once you remove the starter, the gear will look like this in a mirror.

image.php

hi again joedrum and dan philipi

just got these old bones up off the garage
floor from checking the accessability to the starter bolts and it appears i will have to pull off the exaust and the gear shifter.
just thought of something,i normally have to pull the clutch to start the bike. think this may have something to do with my
problem? if i recall i even have to do it even in neutral. something to do with a diode or something.
you guys probably know something about this.

i know cars have a neutral safety switch.

don

you said you applied the battery lead directly to the starter that would eliminate the safety switch in the clutch lever.

bulldawg":2nk1kkys said:
hi again joedrum and dan philipi

just got these old bones up off the garage
floor from checking the accessability to the starter bolts and it appears i will have to pull off the exaust and the gear shifter.
just thought of something,i normally have to pull the clutch to start the bike. think this may have something to do with my
problem? if i recall i even have to do it even in neutral. something to do with a diode or something.
you guys probably know something about this.

i know cars have a neutral safety switch.

don

It might only appear the exhaust and shifter have to come off.
Remove the 2 starter bolts first.
You might be surprised and find out by sliding it forward, maybe lifting up on the shifter like shifting into second, it will come out as you drop the rearward nose down and out.
I've done it so many times this way.

i will make an attempt to that danfilipi if i can get my son to help me a little
he is a little disabled and i am getting on in age. maybe between the both of us we
can geter done.he rides the wing sometimes so he needs to contribute a little.
on tuesdays when sckool is in session pops has burgers at half price that we take advantage of.
thanks a lot for the info.
don

hi omegaman, the three yellow wire connector was eliminated and the wires were soldered togather, individually
thanks for the post.

forgot something omegaman.
i got it started one time after soldering the wires. it was charging a little highat15 volts
which indicates maybe another reg?rec may be required. what do you think.
any and all suggestions are welcome.
than

15 volts at what rpm? Over 3K rpm it should read about 14.5. 1/2 a volt is easily in the margin of error for cheap meters if that is what you used.

good morning slabghost.
the 15 volts was taken while the bike was at idle after revving up a little trying to warm it up.
it wont start again as the starter is bad per past post;
my son is coming over to help pull the starter.
think i should buy a new starter? if so where do you suggest purchasing it. dealer or aftermarket. maybe dennis kirk?
off parts bike? would be questionable as the condition and how long it would last maybe install new brushes?
open to suggestions thanks.