Uh oh...think I just lost my trans.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are no bearings on the shift fork shaft or drum in your '81. All 4 transmission shaft bearings, including the countershaft bearings, would drag RPMs down if they seized. These bearings are turning anytime the clutch is released, even in neutral. If there is no noise on the stand, I'm not sure what's goin' on...

Just because it's the easiest and most accessible I'd check out the clutch first. If you do have to split the case complete transmissions are sometimes available on ebay.

Agreed on being 100 percent sure on the clutch, I just can't think of anything that would cause such a racket and drop the power that wouldn't be obvious when he removed the clutch. The basket is held in place with a snap ring, so it's not a super tight fit on the shaft. The inner clutch (center) is held in place with the infamous slotted nut, so no play there. If the plates, disks, lifter parts and release bearing look good, there's something lurking inside that's not where it should be.

I hope it's fixable without a case division - it's a lotta work!

Looks to me like I can remove the oil pickup screen cover and screen assembly and see everything with a light and mirror. If not I have access to an inspection camera. I just found a cheap '83 Aspencade locally. I will probably pick that up depending on the condition of the motor. Anything that isn't interchangeable? He said it needs carb work. I might just put my new '81 carbs on there and let my '81 sit. Summer is short in Maine...

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=81573#p81573:2ozgl8z3 said:
Driven » Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 am[/url]":2ozgl8z3]Looks to me like I can remove the oil pickup screen cover and screen assembly and see everything with a light and mirror. If not I have access to an inspection camera. I just found a cheap '83 Aspencade locally. I will probably pick that up depending on the condition of the motor. Anything that isn't interchangeable? He said it needs carb work. I might just put my new '81 carbs on there and let my '81 sit. Summer is short in Maine...
I've got '81 carbs on my '83 engine in an '82 frame and they are all happy together! :hihihi:

Will do. And what if it isn't? Would that cause it to stick in between gears or something?

I talked to my Honda tech friend and he said it sounded like a driveshaft issue. Pulled that apart and everything looks fine. Also took out the oil pickup screen and looked around with a mirror and flashlight. Again, nothing obvious, no metal chunks anywhere or broken gears. This is blowing my mind. I did remember one little piece of info. About a week ago I heard and felt something similar but to a much lesser degree when moving from a stop and turning left all in one motion.

There has to be a bad bearing in there somewhere. I don't know what else it could be.

Just picked up an '82 Aspencade for $200! Needs carb and brake work. Motor swap on tap for this weekend! Pretty psyched to have bags, fairing, etc for a future bagger upgrade...

Well, pulled the motor and split the cases. Couldn't find a single thing wrong until I noticed a bunch of grind marks on the outside of the clutch basket. That would have been consistent with the noise I heard. There had to have been something loose and rattling around in there. I inspected everything several times and couldn't find anything broken off that would have wound up there. It's a mystery! Wish I had noticed it before splitting the cases but at least I know everything inside is ok. I assume whatever it was fell out when I pulled the rear cover off and I didn't notice it. Here's a pic of the evidence...
image.jpg

Yep, just looked at a bunch of baskets on Ebay and they all had the same marks. Ugh. Thought I had found the issue. This is very frustrating. I can't find anything wrong. Guess my next step is to check the assembly against a parts diagram and see if anything is missing or out of order. The motor has obviously been apart before and who knows if he knew what he was doing.

Any chance that deteriorating friction material could be causing this? When I first tried to put the bike on the road a few weeks ago, the clutch plates and friction material would not disengage and had to be pryed apart. After poking around a little more I see particles on the inside of the basket and the pickup screen had a lot of junk in it that could have been from the discs. I don't know, just throwing stuff out there. This *might* explain my noise when taking off, but not sure it explains what happened while I was riding.

Are you able to turn the transmission gears, if so that may help find something, maybe a clunk or clack will lead the way, dont think the material would do it, the way you descibe it it sounds very mechanical.
I wish I could help more, but I`m also new to the GL`s.

Shifting and trans shafts spinning are both buttery smooth. No cracks, broken teeth, etc. All bearings in excellent shape. I'm sorry to keep this thread going, was just hoping someone might suggest something I missed...

No problem keeping the thread going, there are probally a lot of folks here like me, scratching our heads trying to figure this problem out and the more info you feed us from what you find the better response you will get back to you. This is the way we learn here, although me use the manuals for reference, we rely on hand's on experience from the members as contrary to popular belief, everything you see in the manuals and on the internet is not true. I had a few thoughts, did you check the clutch damper midway thru the clutch disc pack to see if it was broken. You need to check the shift forks for wear if they are bent. Also check the pawl spring and the foot shift shaft. Some of these things can be broken or damaged just by the bike falling over. Hang in there.