Uh oh...think I just lost my trans.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man. Need all he help I can get! All of the above were checked and are in good shape.

Can you post more pics of the internals? Crank & rods, bearings, trans gears, the junk on the pickup screen? How is the starter clutch, inside the alternator rotor? Check the primary chain tensioners. Do the oil pumps turn free and smooth? Pics, pics, and more pics...!

Will do tomorrow! Do any of those items only turn when the clutch lever is out? No noise whatsoever in neutral or in gear with the clutch in. No noise in gear with the clutch out while on the center stand. Only does it under load.

I'm still thinking a trans bearing is gone. Under a load, the torque on the gears would move the shaft off-center, causing all kinds of racket. With no load, there's no reason for any lateral movement. Have you dismantled any farther that just splitting the case?

Also, there should be 3 semi-circular positioning rings on the trans mainshaft bearings, keeping them aligned in the case. If one or more is missing, things move that shouldn't be moving.

This is the theory I had too. All the components on the clutch shaft are perfect. Removing the main shaft today to inspect those bearings and gears

Well guys, I officially give up. I don't see anything out of spec, assembled incorrectly, etc. The ONLY issue I saw at all was that the friction material is near the minimum thickness and needs to be replaced. I guess *maybe* that could have caused my issues. Not likely but I'll order those along with a gasket kit and see what happens. In the meantime I'll be putting my newly rebuilt carbs from this bike on the Aspencade I just picked up and start riding that instead. Not likely I'll want to get back on the standard after that anyway! Still want to make it right and maybe keep it for a future café racer project or might just sell it.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82548#p82548:3hct98yu said:
Steve83 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:16 pm[/url]":3hct98yu]I wish you were closer, I'd love to see that engine of yours...I'm very curious as to what's going on in there. There's got to be something...hmmmmm...

Maybe we need a video!

After a tank and carb swap the 82 is alive! Need to rebuild the brakes and figure out why the tach/temp/fuel gauges aren't working. Also need to change the suspension over to manual fill since I didn't get the air pump. Should be good to go soon. I'll come back to the 81 later.

Well, it's been nearly a year...how's the Aspy running? and did you ever get the '81 enginr noise figured out? One thing that wasn't mentioned was the primary chain and tensioners - how do/did they look?