Vinyl wrap as paint

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was scanning ngw threads and someone new there was talking about using colored vinyl and heat gun to cover side covers ..this seems very interesting and something that backyard guys could do lacking painting equipment ...as i dont do NGW posting at all ....i brought the guys idea or ? about this vinyl wrap here for us to look into ......there was a pick of a crotch rocket all done in the stuff and it looked great .....what others here know of this system to replace painting :popcorn:

I make vinyl signs and wrap cars for a living it's not as simple as slapping it on for sure .. Your going to need an adjustable temperature heat gun some good air release vinyl like 3m 1080I you have to heat and stretch it if you pull it to far it changes colors farther than that and it rips fingers will leave marks in it while it's hot during the install cotton glove on one hand would help .. And all I can say is good luck with the fairings i don't see how it wouldn't be a bunched up mess at certain points if someone's never done it before.

they make knifeless tape that will help trim openings where you don't want to use a razor knife also felt sqeegee so you don't scratch the vinyl they make vinyl specific wash and wax products .. A naked bike would be way easier than a full dressed touring bike

I would honestly just use spray paint get a good paint mixed and put into cans, use a good 2k clear again it comes in a spray can wet sand and then buff. Even the best vinyl wont last but a few years .. Vinyl isn't final paint doesn't fall off or lift up around the edges

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159228#p159228:35lmoqj3 said:
joedrum » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:19 am[/url]":35lmoqj3]
hmmmm ok yes naked bike would be best ..seems side cover and false tank sides on oldwing 1000s would be rather simple application....but maybe not
That's what I was thinking, faring,trunk anything squared or highly contoured would be difficult if not impossible.
I think our GL tanks side covers and fenders would be fairly easy. I have an old 60`s hot rod magazine that`s a how to for vinyl coatings but colors and maybe vinyl today are much better then back then.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159229#p159229:17p6chfz said:
ChuckII » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:29 am[/url]":17p6chfz]
Plenty of YouTube videos you can watch to get an idea try to find justin pate or geekwraps they have some good instructions on their
+1 Justin Pate :good:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159236#p159236:28la9oe6 said:
slabghost » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:30 am[/url]":28la9oe6]
Was that the one using a soap solution?
Not sure, I find that book when i`m looking for something else then I put it someplace and cant remember where, they clay the surface first but I think it sticks same as the current stuff...I`ll find it again when i`m not looking for it.

FYI....here is a completely vinyl "painted" aluminum ferry:

Attachments

• WETA IMG_1330.JPG
    WETA IMG_1330.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 247
wrapped the yellow 82 over a year ago.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 237
I just saw a nice example of vinyl wrap on a BMW yesterday. I am debating doing a vinyl wrap or Plasti-dip coating on my Civic, I hate the dark metallic green color. BTW Plasti-dipping is cheaper than vinyl wrapping.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=159216#p159216:1810v7im said:
joedrum » September 20th, 2015, 7:24 am[/url]":1810v7im]
i was scanning ngw threads and someone new there was talking about using colored vinyl and heat gun to cover side covers ..this seems very interesting and something that backyard guys could do lacking painting equipment ...as i dont do NGW posting at all ....i brought the guys idea or ? about this vinyl wrap here for us to look into ......there was a pick of a crotch rocket all done in the stuff and it looked great .....what others here know of this system to replace painting :popcorn:

I like it. :good: I done my side covers and tha tank doors with tha black carbon fiber style. It takes a little pratice but tha stuff can be heated and reheated till yer satisfied. I takes a good bit of heat , I started off with a hair dryer cause my Son had borrowed my Heat Gun. Tha Heat gun works way better. On real little tight spots I even hit it with my lighter. It stands up to a lot of heat , naturally tha more you heat tha more it stretches for nooks and cranny's. Tha stuff comes in a bunch of colors and styles and textures including camouflage
which gave me a whole boatload of ideals :BigGrin:

That plastidip looked like shiat. Now there is a kid at the Chevy dealership I work at that has an 82 that is a rat project and it does look better than his, but I could never live with the seems the guy in the video has.