Wanting to build front forks for my bike

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joedrum

Supporting Member
Reaction score
There’s been a lot done in the area of changing gl 1000 forks to othe bike setups ...sport bike set ups and so on ...but most seem to lower the oldwing ...I don’t see this as good at all ...the rake and trail setup is already bad in my opinion ...lower makes it worse I’m thinking .....I’m thinking the old time leading link set up like on trikes is hard to beat...as for being stout and also simplistic as in the parts used ...I could care less about looks ...as of now I’m just looking to get feedback and disgust all possibilities and if someone has and trike setup for wing ...I wouldn’t mind buying one ... :thanks:

Well, they make trike triple trees for 1500 and 1800s. I hear that it is definitely not the good setup for two-wheelers however. They are made for easier trike steering. I would think that the best setup for a 1000 or 1100 would be some kind of cartridge emulator.

I have zero knowledge in this area other than susie told me once that leading link is BAD! for 2 wheel. She’s got a lifetime of seat time and being involved in some way or another with sidecars, so I trust her insite. Choose wisely, and be careful what others suggest on the internet sites. IMO, about 90% is BS or imagined.
I can put you in touch with Susie if you want.

Joe, I have though of building a leading-link for my sidecar rig. The main reason to go this way is to reduce trail but if set up right they can work with any number of wheels.
At one time BMW made a LL that was adjustable for use with or without a sidecar.

Did my first road trip with the bike and new motor bike ran perfect ...perfect idle all the time ..about 700 miles put on the bike...bike stayed cool as in motor temp always loving the set up ...the negative is I’m still not liking the front end ...got to get this bike better

It is not handling road irregularities very well ...I’m thinking forks in front and rear shocks all need updated to better stuff ...and I must admit nothing is up to par as in stock stuff ..so I’m really trying to decide witch way to go to fix things

Hi, list, new here I have the 1982 Aspencade GL1100 and a 1981 GL500 Silverwing. can anyone tell me is the front forks on these bikes are the same? thanks.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211596#p211596:3nngcve7 said:
Bzrut » 31 Jul 2019, 18:30[/url]":3nngcve7]
Hi, list, new here I have the 1982 Aspencade GL1100 and a 1981 GL500 Silverwing. can anyone tell me is the front forks on these bikes are the same? thanks.

The Gl1100 Upper Tube Diameter is 39mm, and the GL500 Upper Tube Diameter is 35mm, I just measured them. :read: So, I would have to say no, they are not the same. :nea:

How difficult was it to replace springs and seals, also did you used the tops with the air hose. Thanks

Well, that is a loaded question, lol! With my experience, it wasn't difficult at all. If you have never done any forks at all, you might find the seal job a bit challenging. Yes, I always re-assemble the forks like factory with the air hoses and caps. The old springs are 2-piece, and you will discard both pieces. There will be noticeable spring pressure when removing the top caps. The replacement Progressive Springs are one-piece and a bit shorter than the factory 2-piece set, but don't be concerned. That will actually make re-assembly of the top caps easier, and they are much stiffer when the forks actually try to compress. You will notice an immediate height increase in the front end that will not bottom out on hard bumps, either!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=211613#p211613:3xrlvp6l said:
Bzrut » 31 Jul 2019, 23:51[/url]":3xrlvp6l]
How difficult was it to replace springs and seals, also did you used the tops with the air hose. Thanks
If you will get the parts, we can set up a time or a way that I can help walk you through both procedures. Once you do one fork, the second one will be easier just because you will see what you are actually accomplishing with the 1st one. The same goes for the rear shock rebuild as well!
-Graves-

Mine on the 1977 were easy and straight forward, no issues. The problems on any forks is when you get a bolt stuck and or broke off or striped. I had an EX500 that one of the bolts that hold the cartridge in the head striped. That set of forks were a nightmare. Key behind doing forks and having them come out right is making sure you have the proper tools a good work space and an excellent way to clean everything and making sure the fork oil is exactly the same amount in both side and properly put back together. It only sounds difficult and scary because so few riders touch their forks, and when they do they do not understand what they are doing.

Disclaimer: I have never done inverted forks but on all 14 of my bikes I have owned I have done every single one of them, except the R1 because it was one of the few bikes I bought new and sold before it even needed a thought on servicing.

Latest posts