What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I managed to resist the urge to set mine on fire....does that count as doing something?

Finished polishing the front covers and bike is back in action.

BUT not before I got carried away and forgot to put he cap back on the timing access hole. Well, let's just say I'm using a bunch of paper towels and using what few Japanese curse words..... The peaceful mind thing I mentioned above says "BEFORE Working" Not DURING or even when you THINK you are finished. LOL

Not the first time, won't be the last and a couple oz of oil never hurt anyone that I know of.

Bike feels just a bit smoother if that was possible. New belts did something I just can't put my finger on as it is very subtle but a good thing nonetheless. Not liking the center bolts on these covers, one (right side center bolt) was a real PITA to get started and then I had to stuff the gasket BACK into the bottom. Broke the sealer material loose I applied last night. Ended up taking almost 45 minutes just to get that one bolt and the gasket back right.

bike feels smoother ...i bet slicker too ....i bet burned off a little oil to on the ride :smilie_happy: :Doh2:

yes those inner belt cover bolts suck ....i dont use them havnt for yrs and yrs ...never had a problem with it ...sur dose make checking belt easy ...

i dont want to think how many times ive cleaned up a motor nice and clean ...and trash it it all in ten secinds after starting the bike with the timing cap off :rant: :nea: :cheeky: :Awe: :hihihi:

joedrum":2d2u3g7n said:
bike feels smoother ...i bet slicker too ....i bet burned off a little oil to on the ride :smilie_happy: :Doh2:

yes those inner belt cover bolts suck ....i dont use them havnt for yrs and yrs ...never had a problem with it ...sur dose make checking belt easy ...

i dont want to think how many times ive cleaned up a motor nice and clean ...and trash it it all in ten secinds after starting the bike with the timing cap off :rant: :nea: :cheeky: :Awe: :hihihi:

Frankly, for the amount of time I spent trying to get the right inside bolt started I could have just dropped the radiator. I give it some slack because it was the first time for me and should be smoother next time but I just have these big ol hams for hands and had a hella time getting the darn bolt started. Once I did get it started I had pulled the gasket loose and had to get down and pack it back into place. :rant: :rant:

Was doing the happy dance for finally getting the covers tied down and reached up and hit the starter. Varoooommmm. :whip: :whip: OIL all over the place. LOL .... It didn't run 30 seconds but that was enough to give me a good hour of sopping and wiping. Then the burn off at the pipes looked like I set fire to the garage. :eek:k: :eek:k: Things are copacetic now after a good ride. :hi:

went to find a motor cycle grave yard and when i found it. :shock: the horror..i asked if they had any goldwings and they said they just got done chopping one up :Awe: .oh the humanity... :beg: so i looked around and found a rack with good spring clips ,and a battery strap.got it for twenty bucks. asked about a rear brake cyclyder and the fellow pick ed up a caliber and said hears one. :smilie_happy: :roll: i just said no thanks and good by. but in thier defence these are supposedly harley mechanics. :nea:

got the Oatley cement in today and repaired my mirror. That's some awesome stuff. Saved me having to buy another mirror. Actually looking forward to fixing the other cracks now since it works so well.

got the timing belts from rockauto.com today they have great service. working on seat, this is fifth try at getting the foam just like i want it. Repairing cracks in the trunk.

Changed out the tool box lid & installed a different instrument cluster.
010-2.jpg

Left mirror was kinda wimpy and kept getting blown out of position at speed or in gusty wind so I took it off and tightened it up from the inside. Of course I lost one of the attaching nuts which fell down into the speaker with the speaker magnet grabbing it. So, remove left front signal light in order to remove the speaker to recover the nut. Story of my life. constant victim of unintended consequences. Mirror is solid and stays where I put it now though. Rode 40 miles putting around town. Liking the GoldWing more every time I ride it.

While making a 90 degree turn off a street with 45 MPH speed limit got a wake up call. Some putz left about a 3x4 slick cardboard "yardsale" sign from the weekend and it had blown into the street right at the apex of my turn in. Brought the bike upright as much as safely possible and let it roll over the thing. Even then the front end jumped over about a foot or more. Had I not seen it, it would have been even more exciting. Also around here they put the slickest concrete available to man as gutters, and trim it into the street at corners about 8 feet. Wet or Dry those patches can be as slick as glass. Really have to make slow entries and insure the front tire has some bite before leaning too much.

yes its a constant awareness a bike demands that can keep you up ...sometimes its rough to miss things that can happen great move im glad it work out ...that ft slide must have realy been intense glad you were on your game .... :shock:

Gotta watch them manhole covers, too. :shock:
I've done nothing but cuss at my 'Wing.... :rant: