What did you do to your Wing today ?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189730#p189730:70jwyl9o said:
joedrum » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:55 am[/url]":70jwyl9o]
i rode it ...man what a great feeling to be back riding again ....fixing to go for another ride tonight ....
:good:
:moped: :moped: :moped: :clapping: :clapping:

I can't make up my mind if I want my naked '82 to be naked or dressed with a Windjammer I picked up. Love the naked look and feel but love the wind protection of the WJ.

I switched the turn signal wiring from OE to WJ harness so many times that the OE connectors in the headlight shell are messed up. Mainly because the bullet connectors on the WJ harness are too big for the OE terminals so I forced them in making them too big. Then when I plugged the OE turn signal bullets in I had to squeeze them together with pliers.

So I bought some new terminals from Cycle Terminal: 10 x 3-way, 10 x 4-way and 10 x bullet male terminals. Also moulded insulators for each. Ordered them last Wednesday and just got them today. Their web site seems to have all the terminals that my GW has.

I will replace the damaged terminals and put the matching bullet connectors on the WJ harness.

Fairing is nice but heavy and bulky. However since you have it. The price is right. I put a shield on my 84 standard and it makes a world of difference. Not fond of naked anymore.

200 mile round trip to Springfield on the 85I yesterday. 40mph tailwind going up, 40 mph crosswind coming back. Pulled a trailer, so the crosswind was very noticeable. That should have burnt all of the winter gas and Stabil out.

Dragged one of mine out of the shed today. Time for oil and fluids and get this season started in Earnest! Only eight weeks till Carlisle, better start looking for my camping gear.

Man, I envy you guys just now gearing up for riding season. Ours is winding down. Pretty soon the only trips will be early morning short hops for breakfast, or long runs out of town into the hills or up into Colorado. I crossed the Mojave last summer for a run up the coast, and don't think I'll be doing that again this year. A buddy and I are talking about going up to Montana. (actually, we've been saying that for several years). I think this year we might actually do it.

What did I do to my 'wing today? I transferred some pretty nice trinkets on the Sidecar tug over to my Café '78. Going to be letting the hack go. The trinkets were nice chrome dome nuts for frame, pegs and other hardware, and chrome differential and crankcase caps. Nice little detail touches that I missed when I went through it a couple of years ago.

I'm guessing that extra chrome gave me a couple more horsepower.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189873#p189873:1k7tj6rm said:
kerryb » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:40 pm[/url]":1k7tj6rm]
Dragged one of mine out of the shed today. Time for oil and fluids and get this season started in Earnest! Only eight weeks till Carlisle, better start looking for my camping gear.

That reminds me... I need new tires for my trailer. I better get some! :head bang:

I paid for my collector vehicle plate for my wing, it should be here in about a week, picking up an AGM battery for it tomorrow, hopefully it's a good one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Took Val for a quick strap to Springwood Suzuki. Unfortunately I had to work so I couldn't hang around for too long, It was a beautiful Autum day to be riding, it was just a shame that I couldn't spend the rest of the day riding else where. :moped: :good:

I got my new AGM battery installed, turned on the gas and....FUEL LEAK! Pulled the aftermarket filter that I had installed a couple of years ago off and found one side of it backed off, gotta love an easy fix! Test fired her up and now we wait for some sun, or at least lighter drizzle...oh well, I'm ready to ride!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Put new plugs in the 85I, hoping to cure slow starting when cold. Seems like it doesn't have enough voltage to power the headlight, the ignition system, and the starter. Hook a 40 amp booster to it and it starts instantly.

The battery is new; starter cable and ground strap are both #4 copper welding leads. The starter was removed, cleaned, and new HD grease put in last fall. I guess I could change out the solenoid and see if that makes a difference.

The real cure may be to put the headlight on a manual switch and avoid the voltage drop when trying to start.

Headlight should be off when the start button is pushed. Sounds like accumulated resistance in the wiring has dropped coil voltage. Or maybe the new battery is simply not fully charged or just weak.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190054#p190054:1mtoscqj said:
slabghost » Tue May 02, 2017 1:19 am[/url]":1mtoscqj]
Headlight should be off when the start button is pushed. Sounds like accumulated resistance in the wiring has dropped coil voltage. Or maybe the new battery is simply not fully charged or just weak.
+1 or maybe new battery is under capacity. Might be worth a full charge and a load test. :yes:

Today was a productive day. I rode the 81 1200 to work. I came home and I moved V's 84 1200 out of the shed and rode it through the yard so I could get it in the garage. After that, I rode the 87 1200 for it's first test ride, but not too far... not floorboards yet.

After that, I lined everyone up for a group photo of a GL4800! :shock:

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190051#p190051:279i6s3p said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon May 01, 2017 10:14 am[/url]":279i6s3p]
Put new plugs in the 85I, hoping to cure slow starting when cold. Seems like it doesn't have enough voltage to power the headlight, the ignition system, and the starter. Hook a 40 amp booster to it and it starts instantly.

The battery is new; starter cable and ground strap are both #4 copper welding leads. The starter was removed, cleaned, and new HD grease put in last fall. I guess I could change out the solenoid and see if that makes a difference.

The real cure may be to put the headlight on a manual switch and avoid the voltage drop when trying to start.

Maybe run the coil off of a relay to get better power to the coil?

[url=https://forum.classicgoldwings.com/viewtopic.php?p=190131#p190131:1l80urzf said:
bib » Wed May 03, 2017 5:03 pm[/url]":1l80urzf]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=190051#p190051:1l80urzf said:
PurpleGL1200I » Mon May 01, 2017 10:14 am[/url]":1l80urzf]

Maybe run the coil off of a relay to get better power to the coil?

...I'd say just optimize the factory configuration. If it's right, no voodoo is necessary. It was noted that the cumulative voltage drop to the coils is likely the problem. I agree. I never was a fan of the ballast resistor. Not sure if the "I" uses one, but even if not, there are a lot of interconnects in the coil primary side voltage path - i.e. lots of potential points of loss (voltage drop). It's a PIA, but I'd go through the process of verifying that path before kludging in something that's really only a bandaid masking a problem.

Latest posts