What's wrong with this picture???

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildwing

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have not look at how to open this up to replace it.

Attachments

• speedo 005.JPG
    speedo 005.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 210
Was boogie'N down the road today and at one point noticed the whole face came loose and was dancing around inside the speedo...but it was intact. Miles later I saw that it had broken, I think it's in 2 pieces???

Edit: After looking again, it's more than 2 pieces.

LOL Steve, :beer:
The kicker is, it's a 1200 Standard...The One Year Wonder. So replacing the speedo may not be so easy or cheap. The speedo off the 83 1100 looks to be the closest, but I don't believe the internals turn at the same rate??? Besides, have you seen the asking prices for a beat up speedo. :shock:

Brian, We like to call it 100 MPH tape. Good stuff. :builder:

Has anyone been able to remove the sight glass on one of these......think that's what I'll try first. Man, I love Super Glue!!!

steve that was funny .....sheesh im sure the 83 would read wrong ... i cant help on the taking apart ... seems i seen somewhere where some had a how to thread on it but cant remember where ... hopefully someone knows something

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122372#p122372:3t3n6wxf said:
Wildwing » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:43 pm[/url]":3t3n6wxf]
LOL Steve, :beer:
The kicker is, it's a 1200 Standard...The One Year Wonder. So replacing the speedo may not be so easy or cheap. The speedo off the 83 1100 looks to be the closest, but I don't believe the internals turn at the same rate??? Besides, have you seen the asking prices for a beat up speedo. :shock:

Brian, We like to call it 100 MPH tape. Good stuff. :builder:

Has anyone been able to remove the sight glass on one of these......think that's what I'll try first. Man, I love Super Glue!!!

In my Navy day, we used 100 MPH tape to hold on the leading edge inflatable de-icing boot (the black things on the front edge of the wing) on a C-2 aircraft so it could fly to shore to pick up some mail and some parts. The glue was failing and the boot was pealing off. Normally this would be enough to ground the aircraft until it was repaired but the pilot said he would take it with that type of a repair. We used 4 inch wide duct tape. After that flight, we stopped calling it 100 MPH tape and started calling it 300 MPH tape because the tape was exactly like we left it 4 hours earlier.

C-2A_DN-SC-89-09037.JPEG

If the chrome ring on the speedo is anything like the 1000 gauge glass, it is just a matter of slowly bending that chrome ring. I have a spare tach I'll take a look at tomorrow.

I know Pistol Pete's restores them also...

Maybe just open it up and use the face from another? Don't do that to the tach . They are truly unobtanium devices. Earlier speedo should work but keep in mind the tire size. Different tire size will make the speed reading different.

A small screwdriver, very slow and careful around the back of the chrome ring, bending it out a bit at a time, and she'll come apart. If it's only broken in 2 or 3 pieces, I'd at least try gluing it back together, and maybe some kind of reinforcement on the back. A bit of flat black paint to fill in the gaps...

I wonder if any other bike uses the same faceplate - maybe a really beat-up '83 could be found cheap.

You can get a new applique, I bought a set of Bay from Canada great set and I have a black face over spedo, see pictures of my new clocks and the spare black one. it is off a 1000 Ltd I think, it came with the set. You can have it.

the black face in between the two chrome clocks.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122398#p122398:buogcw0e said:
Steve83 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:33 pm[/url]":buogcw0e]
A small screwdriver, very slow and careful around the back of the chrome ring, bending it out a bit at a time, and she'll come apart..

Yup..but that's the easy part.....gettin the durn thing re-crimped is the hard part! Mine looks so bad after redoing it that I put some of the aforementioned 100mph tape around it to hide the crappy job I did recrimping.... :builder:

Wildwing, you really need to disconnect the speedo before some of those broken pieces get down in there, and muck up the important workings of the gauge. As it is, you can simply replace the face....if broken stuff gets down in there, you'll wind up needing the whole thing replaced/repaired. :head bang:

re crimping was quite easy, I used a normal set of pliers, start by forcing the edge over for about an inch, move to the opposite side and do the same, then 90 degs to the last partial crimp. keep doing tat till you get back to the start and then finally crimp over, the first one took at least an hour, the second one I had to re do it because I had the wrong needle on it and it didn't match. I took it apart and re crimped in 15 minutes.

The old patience method Ian, I will have to remember that when I clean up my speedo :thanks:

It is surprisingly easy once done, there are a few buts though. I read up on it here and did it the way I was told. so 1) you need a large hose clip a 100 - 110 mm it is fiddly but place it round the crimped edge TIGHT. 2) get two screwdrivers (cheap) and grind the ends as shown in the tread on here. Start with the thinnest one to get the edge to pry upwards. then use the thicker one to do it properly. Remember there is a rubber seal between the two halves, I found it imposable to keep that seal when putting it back together, so I removed the seal. When I eventually fit the clocks, I will remove the bottom covers and the clip and just go over the crimp with some silicon seal, then put them back together.