Wont start unless its in neutral

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winger 82

Reaction score
Asking for a friend his 1995 1500 Interstate has suddenly started not starting when in 1st gear and the clutch is pulled in, just an FYI he has a voyager trike kit on it so the side stand doesn't get used, but will start if it's put into neutral./
Thanks in advance
Winger 82

Mine was doing the same thing. Traced it to the switch on the clutch lever. The plastic end of the switch was worn down, and the lever was not pushing it all the way in to allow start. Iirc, I glued a small "extension" onto the end of the switch to fix it. I did not take any pics of that particular repair, but it's fairly evident when you look at the switch, and see how it works.

Thanks for the reply AApple, your 96 is the same color as my 95, I love that green I'll take a look at mine so I can tell him what to look for

Just come in from the garage and I see what your talking about, mine has only 1 screw that holds it in place, what by chance did you use to add to the switch ?? gonna see what I have that's small and plastic
Thanks for the help AApple

Winger 82

I just went out and took a couple of pics of mine. I remember now that I cut a small square of thin sheet metal, and glued(silicone) it onto the end of the clutch lever. It's the white square thing in the pics. That made up for the worn plastic of the switch end, and now I can start it with it in gear, clutch pulled in. Hope these help. 🙂