Yet another single carb thread :) Dan's 1" runners from plenum to custom head flanges

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any intake/runner tubing larger than the size of the intake valve is useless, except at higher rpms, or if you have some kind of forced induction(blower, hairdryer, etc). The physical size of the valve dictates what size runner is best suited to the engine.
Also....something I haven't seen mentioned, nor can I tell from the various pics that have been posted....is the floor(bottom) of these intakes LOWER than "normal"? As in...do the pipes/runners from the intake to the heads run square to the head, or do they kinda run uphill from the intake to the head?

The center Intake should be slightly higher than the tubes i use a level to make sure every thing is sitting right, before i tighten anything down.

My thought is to go with the OEM manifold ID's which are the head port sizes, for a smooth flow.

But then tube size kept getting smaller, then smaller, to correct some running conditions, and provide more low end torque that Rev.1 had.

Now at 1-1/4"ID tube with a choke in the plenum.

I am going to try the opposite.

Joe and i both tried the Hoses if Joes hoses were collapsing like mine were, That might tell us that the hoses were self choking further down the hose, but I dont know if Joe felt the hoses to see their condition while riding the bike or not, to see if they were collapsing.

Maybe Going to open at the plenum, and squishing down to smaller toward the last 1/3 or 4th of the tube runner, then opening back up to full sized ID again before the 90 degree bend.

That is my next test

well that the same thing the stock plenum will do im building up .....when you want to speed the air up cause the carb needs it ...closer you are to the carb the better and also the bigger the choke can be ...im not a papered anything ....but ive done some really hard things to accomplish ...and have had the papered people coming to me .... its never as hard as these people make it out to be ...I don't run on bs I run on results ...I have smart hands that can do incredible stuff ... bs dosnt work when your in front of an audience and you have just two sticks in your hands to make it perfection or bust .....oldwings get the same hands ...id rather have smart hands any day over paper brain elitism

will see soon how good mid runner chokes work .....but I have other improvements in atomization going on there also ..... im always open to try things its knowledge expanding and don't need paper help much ever but do sometimes ...really all things are good when used by good people ..its always been that way

my hoses are wired big time ..they aint closing down but your right it was self choking on the fly and was probably helping thing in my opinion

Well all this tube size talk, runner tapers, angle......I'm getting confused again. As if that is something new, Lol.

So far I'm happy with the 1" runners with no velocity tubes of any kind.

I'll try to get a long ride in this weekend for a full report and hopefully some MPG numbers.

You know your right Dan.

I am going to finish my tank of gas i am currently trying for a High MPG for a primary only tank.

I will still build during the day.

Just to see if anything more can be had.

depends what you are after and how far ya wanna go

seems this is where its at and some ways are surely better than others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intake
the intake must be carefully engineered and tuned to provide the greatest efficiency and power. An ideal intake system should increase the velocity of the air until it travels into the combustion chamber, while minimizing turbulence and restriction of flow.
prob most are after, cheap, reliable and easy to start with

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99113#p99113:nxpdrehd said:
82a » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:04 pm[/url]":nxpdrehd]
depends what you are after and how far ya wanna go

seems this is where its at and some ways are surely better than others

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intake
the intake must be carefully engineered and tuned to provide the greatest efficiency and power. An ideal intake system should increase the velocity of the air until it travels into the combustion chamber, while minimizing turbulence and restriction of flow.
prob most are after, cheap, reliable and easy to start with
Well for me it's all about MPG at this point.
If you get good MPG that's a good indicator these flows are at least close to where they need to be.
I already know I have good power. My next opportunity will tell me MPG.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99146#p99146:2le7xa7c said:
Steve83 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm[/url]":2le7xa7c]
I'm lovin' it! (Anybody up for McDonald's?) :mrgreen:
Maybe I'll run over to your place Sunday.

I would definitely go for a meal at my favourite Maccas in Altadena :yes:

I want to thank everybody for all the good info and being so nice here with your suggestions...I always try to rebuild my bikes back to orginal condition as much as possible, i guess that has to do with my nature about these goldwings, and now there are so many harley's here for sale now.. :smilie_happy: Most of them ask me..what year is that..so i'll them an 81 or 82 or so on.
Then it's like..are you kidding me...so i'll tell them...bring your harley back in 30 years and show me what it looks like, they'll all laugh and tell me..it will be in the scrap yard.. :smilie_happy: but sometimes someone wants something different like this single carb set up. I can unserstand that process too, so i am very thankful for all the info..I built my first honda when i was 11, but I know If it wasn't for Dan having this site when i bought my first Goldwing, i'm sure i wouldn't be doing these restorations now. I've spent the last 3 years building Goldwings, and serving customers in north west arkansas and surrounding states. I don't know everything, but i sure have learned alot. so i want to say.. :thank_you: Dan for the best Goldwing Forum.. :salute:

bt,this is me 10 years ago on my now 64 year old panhead,i hope my wing lasts as long,however i wont be here to see it im sure.

Attachments

• me on panhead.jpg
    me on panhead.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 149
backyardtrouble":1mk1hont said:
i knew somebody had to have a harley here, ..nice bike. I'm not going to be here in 30 years either... :Awe:..I hope you keep it and pass it down to someone that loves old bikes like me... :fishin: ...lol.
thanks dude,unfortunately i dont have any kids to leave it to,so my brother will get it and maybe his stepson will want it

Come on guys,

If your going to eat at mickey dogdews, or I mean the Golden Cheeks (not the ones on your face)

At least tell us you went to In-N-Out Burger, and got a animal style burger.

I have to ride about 2 hours one way, to get the closest In-N-Out.

They also have a Sonic Burger but it is said, I refuse to go there.

I used to have a Greek burger joint Alpha Omega that used to be Great, when i lived in Covina California

I also miss Wahoo Tacos, grilled Fish tacos, when i visit calif I always go to Wahoo's

You have a wahoo's on/near Lake ave. in pasadena

Grilled Blackened fish tacos, with Black beans and jasmine rice, and some Mr. lee's spicy sauce, on the side.

Dang I may meet you guys for lunch

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99219#p99219:376kl3rh said:
Steve83 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 am[/url]":376kl3rh]
"Maybe I'll run over to your place Sunday."

Cool! I'm not goin' anywhere.

Westgl you are speaking all foreign languages to me now that we are back home again. Maccas, Hungry Jacks ( Burger King) and KFC are our only mainstream fast foods. :(

Oh I am sorry for you Ansimp.

Wahoo's is excellent and reasonable! two blackened Fish tacos with black or pinto beans and Jasmine rice, almost worth the ride or flight.

Wahoo's is a notch or two above fast food, more like a homemade meal.

If your ever here in the states, you'll have to try it.

I do make it over to In-N-Out burger every so often,

Make it so Number one!!

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=99413#p99413:3i0vdl4b said:
Ansimp » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:10 pm[/url]":3i0vdl4b]
Westgl you are speaking all foreign languages to me now that we are back home again. Maccas, Hungry Jacks ( Burger King) and KFC are our only mainstream fast foods. :(