Route advice for my ride in August

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ansimp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1981 GL1100 “Rats Nest”
1998 GL1500c Val
1987 CBR1000f “The Pig”
1991 CBR1000f Red
A few of you may be aware that I intend to be in the States in August and plan to do some riding with my brother and our Dad. I am trying to plan our route and would appreciate any local knowledge that members can provide. The current trip notes that I have is what would occur in a perfect world but nothing is set in stone ( even though I am convinced that I need to ride the San Juan Skyway). We are aware that the trip will be all about us having a great time together and not really about the destinations.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

It looks like you're going to be doing some VERY heavy riding. I've lived in California my entire life all around the southern, central and northern regions. I currently live in Placerville, CA., which is 25 miles east of Sacramento. First, I'll tell you that your #1 and #2 'legs' are going to be some VERY hot riding in August so, be prepared for that. The rest looks very nice and a good choice. If I can be of any help to you with advice etc., while in California, please don't hesitate to contact me at any time. Guy Petersen - 530-626-7967

Good point about the heat. Plan on 105+ with parts close to 120 degrees.
Flagstaff, Indio leg especially I think.

I made the mistake.....once.....of riding through the desert without covered arms.
Boy did I ever pay the price with wind/sun burned arms!
Now I wear at least a thin long sleeved shirt.

Oregon is beautiful country but when I lived there for 6 months it seemed like it never stopped raining, or at least overcast.
It wasn't that time of year but I'd still plan on getting wet, even so...that time of year a ride in the rain would be enjoyable.

Thanks Guy. I have considered the fact that it will be hot in the beginning ( used to live in Tucson many years ago) as we were in Vegas in the end of July 2011. Unfortunately that is the way it is. I Believe that my brother from OC should struggle the most with the heat even though he is the youngest as Dad lives in Coolgardie Western Australia ( near Kalgoorlie) and I love the dry heat. As I said nothing is in concrete so we will just see how it goes and we may have to make allowances for my brothers 2012 Road King as it is air-cooled :smilie_happy:

Hey, just a trick I learned with dry heat.... I wear my Frogg Togg rain gear when driving on the hottest days. I found out by accident that the gear reflects radiant heat and prevents wind burn! Plus, air passes right through so you stay cool (It is just like wearing a shadow!). Then, if it turns to rain, you are already set too!
Frogg Toggs.jpg

Thanks for the tip mcgovern61. I normally wear all my safety gear, leather jacket,gloves,Kevlar jeans and Spyder riding boots. Of course full face flip up helmet and pack the wet weather gear just in case. Have used the wet weather gear when it has been cold as no wind goes through it and that makes a huge difference.

OK I can vouch for the trip from Onterio Oregon up over Lee vining to Miraposa. Have ridden all of that (in a car). Lived in Juntura Oregon went to school in Harper
Vally and Vale(has a Bates Motel :smilie_happy:) and went roller scating, movies and shopping in Onterio. My sisters liv in Vale. Niece lives in Bend. Lots of things to see along the way: Crater lake ( south of bend.) Lava Beds (south of Klamath falls) at Lee Vinng is Mono Lake and the ghost town of Body. In Yousemit on the ridge is a nice camp ground called White Wolf and the lodge. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Many thanks toytender01 that is the kind of invaluable local knowledge that I am looking for. I really have enjoyed all the people that I have met through this forum and I take my hat off to Dan for such a great site. :thanks: :hi:

I’m also a Northern Californian, one thing your route is going to take you right buy Lassen park, I really recommend the Lassen loop, has some breathtaking view.

Also highway 49 between Sonora and Mariposa is a really fun road and I ride it frequently, you will meet your tail on some of those corners. If I remember right there are 108 curves between Coulterville, and Mariposa, watch out for falling rocks and gravel.

Your ride is like a dream of mine, but I don’t envy you going through the desert in August. Are you going to do Yosemite Park, to be honest it is beautiful but it is a pain in the rear for bikes in the summer because of the tourist.

I have one other question, how many miles a day to you plan on? I know the only long ride I took up into the Northwest I planned way too many miles a day, and ended up averaging about 250, too many places to stop and see.

We are planning big miles for most of the days (400+) but reality may set in and we may make plenty of deviations ( short cut through Salt Lake City?). The Yosemite tourist traffic would definitely be an issue but as a once in a lifetime trip we may have to tough it out. After the Colorado ride and the Black Hills ( with tourists) we may not have the stomach for it when back in CA. All input is greatly appreciated and atm I have looked at an extra day and including Portland into our trip, which should be getting shorter no longer :blush:

I know Yosemite very well, actually worked in the park many years ago. If you have the time I would recommend continuing down 395 in Nevada and picking up 120 that takes you right into Yosemite East entrance. Do a quick tour through the valley but do take the short hike up to Bridal Vail falls. Then head south and on up to Glacier Point, that is one breathtaking view, I have many pictures taken from there but photos no matter how good don’t express the panoramic view you get of the valley. By heading out the south end of the valley you would miss the highway 49 switchbacks or you could come out on the west side on 120 and end up in Sonora or pick up 132 and pickup 49 at Coulterville. If you can do Yosemite during the week and not on any week that has a long weekend you are much better off.

Sounds like you have a ride of a lifetime planned, that kind of ride is definitely on my bucket list once I retire.

What a trip you have planned :party: :party:

your third leg cheyenne to Durango: from Denver north you are riding on the flats level and straight.
I suggest you go west from Loveland to ride Rocky Mountain national park. Head South to 34 to 40 to I 70 south to Montrose. You will be in the heart of the ROCKIES.

At your first national park purchase the pass for all the national parks.

Do not forget to post all your pics from your ride.

After you leave Yosemite on highway 120 you don’t need to backtrack all the way to Sacramento to hit the bay area, I assume you want to cross the Golden Gate Bridge.

I would take 120 down to Manteca and pickup interstate 5 north to Lodi and take highway 12 across to Fairfield where you pickup interstate 80. Now if you want to tour Napa Valley take highway 29 over to Napa, if not continue on down 80 to highway 37 take it across to highway 101 then south into San Francisco.

Personally there is no way I would want to ride through San Francisco on a motorcycle but that is just me. That city has some of the most aggressive drivers I have ever seen. With that said though there is a lot to see and do in the city.

After leaving SF I would head south on highway 1 and to highway 92, take it east to skyline and take skyline all the way down to highway 9 the back west to Santa Cruz, that is one beautiful ride.

That coast highway 1 between Monterey and San Simeon is one of the most beautiful rides one can take. Take your time and enjoy the scenery. If you can check out Hearst Castel as San Simeon, it is worth seeing.

Ansimp,
Wow, sounds like a great ride.
I am originally from California (3 yrs here near Portland, Ore) and spent many years riding/tramping around the Sierra including Summer work in Yosemite eons ago.
Although Yosemite always gets mixed reviews "breathtaking beauty!/horrid crowding! in the same sentence even, I believe oldwrench is correct, timing is everything. The Tamarack Crk campground (off of 120 just East of Crane Flat) sometimes has spaces available even on crazy crowded holiday weekends. Its true that the ride up to Glacier Pt is not to be missed, my advice would be to do it early in the morning.
I believe that gasoline isnt even sold in Yosemite Valley anymore so fill up elsewhere, Lee Vining for sure and maybe even a short ride later at Tuolumne Meadows because the gas station at Crane Flat will be crowded.
I like the Hetch Hetchy area, Middle Fork campground is hot and dry but less crowded than inside Yosemite Park proper.
After the bridge on Hwy 140 (Merced River/ El Portal area) was damaged a few years ago, Summer road work has delayed traffic so beware.
I just read that Cal Trans will probably be re-installing a stoplight on 120 between Buck Meadows and Cherry Lk turn off so be prepared for delay there too. Despite all of this news if you have never ridden 120 over Tioga Pass its well worth the trouble, just travel early if possible.
The other roads over the Sierra are amazing too, Sonora Pass/108 is really fun and The Dardenelles area is beautiful.
Ebbets/4 and Carson/88 supply plenty of great twisties and views as well.
I lived near Lassen Park for awhile, 44 and 89 are great motorcycle roads.
It does not look like your route takes you through/near Zion in Utah but man, oh man, is the Mt Carmel-Zion road a blast!
One October I rode out to Utah and the Mt Carmel road was so fantastic at one point I turned around and rode back some miles and did it again!
Summer of 2011 I encountered heavy smoke obstructing views near Crater Lake from prescribed burns, so you might want to check ahead for those Forest Service/National Park Service postings about burns they might be conducting. The Crater Lk and Diamond Lk area is still worth checking out even during burn season, Hah! the smoke helps keep that areas' legendary mosquitos at bay..a little anyway.
Sorry, I dont know much about Idaho, Interstate 84 East of Portland through the Columbia Gorge is magnificent, across the river in Washington hiway 14 climbs along the cliffs and has more twistys.
Good Luck and have fun!
Phil

Latest posts