Route advice for my ride in August

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived on the central coast of CA for quite a while and the PCH speaks for it self, however when you get to southern end at Morro Bay, take a minute to sight see and get something to eat, lot's of great little mom and pop sea food shanties with fresh catch of the day! Spending the night in San Luis Obispo? San Luis is a college town and on Higuera street there are a great deal of places to eat and drink that were affordable, check out bubble gum alley while there, it connects Higuera streets north and south as they are split, simply ask for Bubble gum alley and you will find it! Oh yeah and the Madonna Inn, has themed rooms and very interesting mens room in the restaurant.
Just south of there is Pismo Beach, you can see it from the freeway 101, but If you get off on Grand Ave. and ride through Grover Beach, you can still ride right out on the sand!

Where are you starting and ending your trip?

Since it will be so hot look to invest in a wet vest.The following is by techniche international
Cooling Apparel
HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Products
■Vests
■Headwear
■Neckwear & Accessories
TechKewl Phase Change Cooling
■Vests
■Headwear
■Neckwear

KewlFlow Circulatory Cooling Vest■KewlFlow Circulatory Cooling Vest - Water Based

Hybrid Cooling■Vests

DryKewl Evaporative Cooling
evaporative Cooling Vests

TechNiche's Evaporative Cooling Vests provide 5-10 hours of cooling relief per 2-3 minute soaking. They are lightweight, and durable.
6529 HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Sport Vest
•Simple V-neck w/ zipper closure; work for a wide range of people and uses
•Comfortable, quilted nylon outer with HyperKewlTM polymer embedded fabric inner, water-repellant nylon liner, and black cotton-poly elastic trim
•Silver, Black, Royal Blue, Hi Viz Lime, Khaki, USA Flag, Army ACU Digitized Green, Marine Desert
•XS, S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL, 5-6yrs old, 7-9 yrs old, 10-12 yrs old
•Custom sizes available

6530 HyperKewl Evaporative Cooling Deluxe Vest
•High mandarin collar for additional cooling relief and sun protection, handy front pockets, and zipper closure; designed especially for bikers
•Provide 5-10 hours of cooling relief per soaking; lightweight, durable, and washable
•Comfortable, quilted nylon outer with HyperKewlTM polymer embedded fabric inner, water-repellant nylon liner, and black cotton-poly elastic trim
•Silver, Black, Royal Blue, Hi Viz Lime
•XS,S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
•Custom sizes available

You soak them in a wash basin in the restroom and it keeps cool for 2-3 hours.
I used one when I went to sturgis in 100 F temps. I wore it under my jacket like you said you were going to wear.
Just a thought.

Wilcoy02 Thanks for the cooling vest advice, I am leaning more towards some Hydra Packs. It may seem crazy but I ride in the heat in full leather jacket( with armour), gloves,boots and Kevlar jeans and flip up full face helmet. The only time I feel the heat is stuck in traffic and so do my bikes. Moral of the story "keep moving" :Egyptian:

I also wear a cooling vest on very hot day (95 +) and wear an armored jacket over it, and a modular helmet. I find it keeps me comfortable enough. Only wish there was a way to cool my feet. The head off the cylinder heads gets pretty darn warm in the summer but is great in the winter.
As we all know keeping bodies hydrated is very important. I drink and 8oz bottle of water about a half hour before leaving work on really hot days.
What a wonderful trip you have planned, I’m jealous.

Thanks for more great advice. Ragged Point Inn might be a place that I can stay with my wife and daughter as they want to drive to San Francisco , San Diego and we have family to visit in Las Vegas after my ride with Dad and Kim.

They probably remember the last time :crying:
Have a great Anniversary time in Lost Wages :salute:

Latest posts