1100 Carb Problem 1981

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonny4jesus

Reaction score
I have a problem with the carbs on my 81 wing, all was fine until I was pulling onto the interstate , as the bike was pulling through the gears it started to miss not all carbs, seemed like only one and if I opened the throttle full it would run fine go back to part throttle and it has that lean spot. when I got home it corrected it's self, then last week it did the same again. I have a second set of carbs and they are doing the same, plus they overflow so I have a problem with that.
Any help would be well received.
Thanks
Sonny <///><

well i think your right sonny it sounds like carbs getting cloged ...you could try ATF mixed in the gas it might clean it up .....but if you already have it apart you might want to clean the carbs ...80-81 carb racks have pressed in jets and carb work is teidious .....there is a good write up on it here by roady if you can find it ....its good info to read before and during carb work.....but the ATF works to if you dont want to break in the carbs ,,,,it sounds like idle circuts or down low this is where you would have to run it ....sometimes a fan in front of the radiator and running on the centerstand is the way to go .....i did this to someone last yr and got his bike to run good when it wouldnt idle......good luck :mrgreen: yah fuel filter might be it... :mrgreen:

Possible it could also be running too rich causing a mid throttle stumble.
I have had success clearing a stuck float by turning the gas off and run it til it runs out of gas.
Cheap and worth a try before tearing into the carbys.

Let us know when you fix it thanks, sure sounds like fuel delivery to me...somethings clogging somewhere down the line, maybe all the way to the tank or in the tank.. :grin: Good luck check your gas cap..

Ran the bike today and seems the problem has gone away. This is the second time the carbs have acted this way. I did'nt do any cleaning or put any cleaner in the gas tank it just cleared up, also has good gas filter in line, sure wish I could find why it does this. Like I said this is the second time it has happend. I also have a 82 Interstate that did the very same, I have not run that bike as I pulled the carbs and cleaned them but could not find and problems.
Was hoping someone had an answer to this problem or someone else had this same happen to there bike.
Thanks for all the replys .
Sonny <///><

It may not be carb issues at all. It may be ignition. With the 1100 ignition location it is doubtful it has ever been inspected or lubed.

slabghost":1sxb4o7w said:
It may not be carb issues at all. It may be ignition. With the 1100 ignition location it is doubtful it has ever been inspected or lubed.

Kinda what I was just thinkin, especially if the problem shows up in damper weather. Maybe spark is jumping to ground?
I would check the plug caps for corrosion and ohm out the wires.

sonny4jesus":2yumydvj said:
I have a second set of carbs and they are doing the same, plus they overflow so I have a problem with that.

Two different sets of carbs doing the same things points to ignition, not carbs. Even with flooding, it is unlikely that both sets of carbs would react the same.

Loose wire in plug boot?

joedrum":32u1d7j0 said:
no plastic caps on the 1100 carbs .....i had a buddy whos 1000 carbs had a crack cap that realy made his bike run bad .... :mrgreen:
Joe I think they are talking about spark plug caps, I could be wrong.. :grin:

I hope his problem isn't his carbs, maybe a fuse cracked a little, like the main fuse or the ground bolt to the frame from the battery is not tight enough or dirty, or the pick up coils aren't working proper, or the petcock has a issue, or the fuel pump diaphragm has a hole or or or..I don't know :shock: ..Check all your wires and plugs and there connections using the old multi-meter ha ha...Better get it right because it's on now, the sun is out and my head is springing up like a ground squirrel ..

Quick recap. Seems the problem is manifested with two racks of carbs. The unlikleyhood of which indicates it may be an ignition problem.

joedrum":1hi9tfrh said:
i guess i lost the flow of the conversation :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: wouldnt be the first time :whistling: :doh: :hihihi: :mrgreen:
:smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy: Funny stuff..

Ok, today I went to wal-mart and purchased a can of sea foam and will try running that through the carbs. I have been told this will fix a lot of problems with the carbs, I hope this is true, if any of you know a reason NOT to use sea foam please let me know , I will hold off using it till I get some input.
Thanks for all the replys .

Sonny <///><