1100 goldwing shocks/

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

candp1

Reaction score
anyone done away with air suspension and went with mechanical shocks front and rear on the 1100 goldwing 1981 if so can you share particulars thanksc

Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Most of us have either rebuilt or just cleaned up our shocks. I have not seen a post yet of anyone using standard shocks yet. (Not that you can't). JC Whitney used to sell rear coil spring shocks at one time, but I do not know if they still have them.

Most coil spring shocks come with a load rating. Measure eye to eye and get a shock with the same span. But take note of the load rating or if too soft you will bottom constantly to stiff and the bike will be uncomfortable and handle terrible.

Tom

Tomahawk":1gnojdlq said:
oh and welcome

I hope you like it here as much as I do. Greatest wing forum online IMO

Take care
Tom
THINKING OF PROGRESSIVE 412S FOR REAR AND THE SPRING FOR FRONT FROM PROGRESSIVE,IS THE FRONT NOT ADAPTABLE TO AIRLESS SHOCK?

if you go the route your taking its airless the springs dont need any help from air but you will have it .....progressives makes springs for the back air shocks to and can be replaced and they dont need air either but you will have it and might be cheaper than the 412s if you can rebuild them ...412 are great i hear

:hi: welcome candp1....Just a remember that the air is monitered by the red light on the tach it will have to be delt with ... remove the bulb or tape over the light... the green wire on the rear shock assembly under the right side cover os where the air pressure is senced...If you install progressive springs you can still use air and the light will still work.... I belive part of that system is also in the speedo???? Bob

toytender01":1abknj7p said:
:hi: welcome candp1....Just a remember that the air is monitered by the red light on the tach it will have to be delt with ... remove the bulb or tape over the light... the green wire on the rear shock assembly under the right side cover os where the air pressure is senced...If you install progressive springs you can still use air and the light will still work.... I belive part of that system is also in the speedo???? Bob
SO IF I GOT THIS RIGHT IF YOU REPLACE FRONT REAR SPRINGS WITH HEFTER SPRINGS NO NEED FOR AIR,WOULD THEY BE ADJUSTABLE WITH JUST THE SPRINGS,GOT ANY MODEL NUMBERS FOR THE SPRINGS?THANKS A LOAD C

:hi: If you want to replace the shocks and disable the air check out JC whitney P/N CCR17058G for fit these are 4 way adjustable...need to provide make and modle #...$94.99... there are other options.... the one I like is to get progressive springs for the rear and install in the olc shocks... then you still have the air capability but only need 5lbs to keep the light turned off...Bob :party:

i just put mechanical shocks on my 1200 aspy about a month ago, progressive 412 shocks. i also did the front springs too. i never did add air to the front and was told by someone to start with no air in the front with the progressive springs. i don't remember what setting the shocke were set on but it's firm enough for me and the luggage i carry but i haven't had a passenger and hardly ever do. my niece is 5'7" and around 175# said the ride is firm around town but nice on the x-way and i agree with her. i need the compressor rebuilt ( may as well do the shocks too ) to convert back to air suspension but i am happy with the new suspension on my 1200 wing

I have the spring shocks from J.C.Whitney. At the time they were $79.99. I think they are $80-90 dollars now, but worth every penny. The Progressive shocks are more expensive. I have had them for 5 or 6 years now. They still work great. It was the best single improvement I made to my 1980 GL1100. I also have progressive springs in the front with 10 lbs air.
Hondaman

mcgovern61":32z0xs6t said:
Welcome to the site from New Jersey! :clapping:

Most of us have either rebuilt or just cleaned up our shocks. I have not seen a post yet of anyone using standard shocks yet. (Not that you can't). JC Whitney used to sell rear coil spring shocks at one time, but I do not know if they still have them.
when you say rebuilt shocks,can the standard air shock be taken apart and a hefter spring be put in?what is the secquinze of the take apart?thanks

They are rebuildable. Check out the mini-tutorial HERE to get an idea of what it takes. Not too bad of a job, really. :mrgreen:

AApple":fte9cpy0 said:
They are rebuildable. Check out the mini-tutorial HERE to get an idea of what it takes. Not too bad of a job, really. :mrgreen:
wow!quite the details thanks that snap press looked like a doosey!lol

AApple":ty8392zt said:
hay guys,making progress got a set of progressive springs for the 1100 rear,for everybodies information progressive still has the shock assembly tool part number 32-5509 77.79 shipped. on the disassembly are all the parts reusable circlips seals etc-or is there a honda kit?thanks
candp1":ty8392zt said:
AApple":ty8392zt said:

candp1":1pz9yhg1 said:
candp1":1pz9yhg1 said:
AApple":1pz9yhg1 said:
AApple":1pz9yhg1 said:
hay guys,making progress got a set of progressive springs for the rear air shocks,for everybodies information progressive still sells the disassembly tool part number 32-5509 77.70 shipped to wa.state,on the disassembly are all the parts reusable circlips seals et reusable or do i need a kit from honda?81 1100 thanks
seal not available from honda,anybody got any ideas

(duplicate posts deleted)AApple

Other than the springs, you will need the bottom seals, Honda part # 91257-463-013. I got my seals from cheapcycleparts, but you might get lucky...call your local Honda CAR dealer with this number...they may have them in stock.

The seals I got came in the same Honda packaging that the transmission parts I get are in, leading me to believe that these seals are also used for other Honda automotive applications. I haven't actually checked myself...just a theory, but it's worth a shot. :mrgreen:

toytender01":2hvcc3b7 said:
:hi: I got my seals from Cheapcycle also... good luck on your rebuild Bob :cool!: :cool!:
anybody had experience using 416-1608a pergression air shocks 13inch/THKS C

I'm running Koni's under my GL1100.

Koni doesn't make bike shocks anymore, BUT a company in Australia bought the rights and are making them under the name IKON (anagram of Koni).

For the GL1000 type 7610-1296
For the GL1100 type 7610-1434
For the GL1200 type 7610-1507

https://www.ikonsuspension.com/

Dave.