1100 vs 1200

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's just a matter of choice on how you intend to use your bike. The one I'm building to travel on, the 86 will be pulling a trailer with extra lights, there will be extra lights on the bike and the addition of driving lights. On top of all that, the trailer will be wired so the bike can charge an extra 12v battery in the trailer plus run a 12v cooler so I don't think the stock system can handle all the extra's I need. The second reason I chose to add the external was road breakdown, I can't fix a stator on the road. I can buy a v-belt or an alternator in anytown USA, sometimes even 24 hours a day. The alternators used today are hidden behind the lower fairing so looks or safety issues are not present anymore. It just depends on what your predominant use of the bike is.

I've got a couple of good stators, one that is OEM and the other is the one the local shop rewound and there is a difference in the wire size the OEM stator has thinner wires and I did notice the off shore stators on ebay (the blue ones) look like they use thinner wire still.. not sure if that makes a difference but it stands to reason the thicker the wire the more current it can carry and the more heat it can take.

The stator is attached to the rear cover and doesn't move. The rotor is gear-driven off the crankshaft, and has permanent magnets around its inside. I'm wondering if stronger magnets - maybe those rare earth types - would increase the output along with a hi performance stator.

My thoughts exactly Steve, no amount of rewinding is going to increase the rotor field strength. It would be great if we could get some donor units to experiment with.

.............. thought I posted a reply last night but don't see it this am, so just to be short ..... that ain't easy for me! .... in the end we all gotta do what we gotta to and such as if you're running a lot of lights and a trailer with a charging system! You gotta do what you gotta do! Please someone reply to my much earlier question and concern "WHAT ABOUT THE DEAD STATOR YOU LEAVE SPINNING AWAY INSIDE THE BLOCK IF YOU GO THE "POOR BOY" ROUTE? Just seems to me that sooner or later its going to start spitting old wire, ground up brushes, knarley bearings things that " go bump in the night" into the block or where you don't need loose parts. Is my imagination too active ? ...... only asking about the mechanical question here; otherwise, leave my imagination alone! ................ Crowe .............. :Egyptian:

crowesnest3":1xgpojpe said:
.............. thought I posted a reply last night but don't see it this am, so just to be short ..... that ain't easy for me! .... in the end we all gotta do what we gotta to and such as if you're running a lot of lights and a trailer with a charging system! You gotta do what you gotta do! Please someone reply to my much earlier question and concern "WHAT ABOUT THE DEAD STATOR YOU LEAVE SPINNING AWAY INSIDE THE BLOCK IF YOU GO THE "POOR BOY" ROUTE? Just seems to me that sooner or later its going to start spitting old wire, ground up brushes, knarley bearings things that " go bump in the night" into the block or where you don't need loose parts. Is my imagination too active ? ...... only asking about the mechanical question here; otherwise, leave my imagination alone! ................ Crowe .............. :Egyptian:
There are no brushes to come apart........
The windings do not spin................
Left unconnected there is no chance of anything bad happening.

I agree, Nothing to go wrong, dont worry be happy.

When I did mine, my stator was still working.

When I removed the poorboy Alt. setup, old stator was and is still working.

No doubt, if you need more power they do work, for me My bike is now nekkid, so I thought that it would not be the look i was going for.

The Poorboy set up hid very well behind the fairing. Besides the radiator sticking out a little more at the bottom, you could not tell it was on my bike, by looking at it.

Thanks Dan for putting my overactive imagination to rest. a dead stator is just that, a dead stator. Not any kind of issue later. FYI spoke with "Ricks Motorsports" this morning about their stators and the note made about "hot shot" stators which run roughly 20% higher output over OEM; however, they are not available for 1100 or 1200's. They have a OEM specd stator with heavier wired windings for $140 shipped UPS ground. The "hot shot alternator" is available for the 1500 and runs $399 ..................... info for the troops .................. Crowe ........... :Egyptian:

crowesnest3":216jaze5 said:
Thanks Dan for putting my overactive imagination to rest. a dead stator is just that, a dead stator. Not any kind of issue later. FYI spoke with "Ricks Motorsports" this morning about their stators and the note made about "hot shot" stators which run roughly 20% higher output over OEM; however, they are not available for 1100 or 1200's. They have a OEM specd stator with heavier wired windings for $140 shipped UPS ground. The "hot shot alternator" is available for the 1500 and runs $399 ..................... info for the troops .................. Crowe ........... :Egyptian:
That's what I thought, 20% making it about 360 watts.

Ansimp":2gryqrlj said:
My thoughts exactly Steve, no amount of rewinding is going to increase the rotor field strength. It would be great if we could get some donor units to experiment with.

Actually the amount of windings and the thickness of the wires have a direct bearing on the output of the rotors which is why I mentioned the thicker wires on the stator that was re-wound locally. I found an interesting article that explains how stators work the most relevant part is end of the 5th paragraph it reads in part "Three-phase stators are easily recognizable by three yellow or white output wires. The winding, length, and diameter of the copper wire is customized to suit the power requirements of each motorcycle, as well as optimize the ignition system's power output and starting capability." of course the strength of the magnets have a huge bearing also, if you have the back of the engine off look inside the rotor (flywheel) for shiny or off-coloured spots

the article is found here
https://www.electrosport.com/technical-r ... le-stators

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75750#p75750:33gexoz6 said:
dan filipi » March 17th, 2013, 12:14 pm[/url]":33gexoz6]
westgl":33gexoz6 said:
Interesting. I didn't know they made that part.
Wonder if they make one for the 1100 and 1200?

I know this is an old subject but I just found this and found the following
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-GL10...005&rk=1&rkt=6&mehot=lo&sd=361192196124&rt=nc
Any one familiar with this outfit?

Looks like Electrosport stator, & was wondering if epoxy, or powder coat, would be a plus to help from cooking out??? :headscratch: