1200 EFI weaknesses

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingrider

Reaction score
My Bike Models
2002 Honda Goldwing, 2001 Honda Valkyrie Interstate solo’d. 1978 Honda Goldwing with Motorvation sidecar, 1977 Honda Goldwing modified, 1974 Suzuki GT550
Hello all,

I am going to be putting a 1200 EFI engine and injection in my 78 frame. I have an 85 engine and EFI setup on to way to me. From what I can tell, it might have some of the wiring harness, no computer, or fuel pump.

What I never really knew was what went wrong with the EFI setups back in the 80's, which caused Honda to stop producing them? I have heard it was anything from bad wiring connections, to bad sensors, to simply a complicated setup, to the ECU's acting up, or simply that it was just t expensive to produce. Does anyone know what was really the case?

I am simply trying to figure out if I can somehow upgrade whatever was bad to make my project go better, and make it reliable.

I know there is a couple options for getting a operating computer on the bike. One way is the stock ecu, the other is something called a Megasquirt, which I guess is used as a standalone computer. The Megasquirt seems like it will adapt to the system well, and might be a good upgrade to this system, but I simply do not know enough about it...

Does anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks for any help!

i know of no one better on 1200 efi stock system than steve83... i can tell you the the efi 1200 will hit the frame by the stator more so the the regular 1200 motor dose....i have a 1200 filled bike already ...do i think this is a project stopper for me no ... id just fix the frame so it works good ... personally id have more problems with the efi ...and would have to be hooked up to steve big time to get it done ...hes the man

I have been in contact with Steve via PM's. I agree, he is very knowledgable in the EFI. I have discussed the frame issue with a couple folks, and know there's a good chance there will be some minor frame mods that will be done.

It was discussed a few years back that you could take some material out of the stator cover where it hits the frame to help. I don't know if anyone's done it yet. For mine, I know it would have fit with just a a few thousandths taken off. I also don't know how much the 1200 efi stator is larger than stock models.

I have been talking with Doug and John over on ngw club, and Doug had shaved the cover a little to clear the frame on his Raptor project. He also mentioned not having a gasket on the right timing belt cover to clear the frame in the front.

It was also speculated that the external dimensions were the same, but the stator is bigger in the EFI engine. Of course, the only way to know for sure is to lay an EFI rear cover next to a carbed rear cover to see for certain.

If I remember correctly, there is about a 13mm difference in the depth of the stator. That is between an 1100 and the 1200 EFI. I'll try to get it measured today...