1977 Honda Gl1000 project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRAFTMAN6001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the building starts today​
I put the bike up in the shop for the removal of everything I'm going to do this bike in a candy apple red or a deep red color. I'm just unsure what to do with the engine I'm going to either build up a rack or put a single barrel carburetor on this bike. I have not made up my mind on this yet but one thing for sure i will be using the same coils in my 78..! More to come will keep you posted. :salute:

My 77 wing. Here is where we are now today with my 77 wing. I been having the toughest time on how I want to build this bike up. My 78 is in fact a Full Dresser and I like the ride there is no wind and I can hear the bike running no matter really what speed I'm going. So this is of great importance to me. But it's not a big deal to buy a full face helmet to bring the sound down that part is easy I think it is more of the wind pushing on my body while I'm riding. Call me spoiled but it the shoe fits fine. I do have a good set of lowers but I would need to pick up a used fairing. The bike came loaded but to me just way to heavy So a fairing alone with a set of lowers will do I guess. On the other hand the money I spent on my 78 was enough to buy a newer model. Not wanting to do this again. The only thing I will need to do to this one IMO is replace the coils with Accel. or make it a runner with the stock parts that are on it. This bike has around 40k and has been sitting for awile I have yet to hear it run. I was thinking about just pulling the rack of my 78 and bolting it on there but I need to do a gas tank flush. The gas tank has been done up in the red sealer. But the lines are a little rusted so I will need to pour something in the tank for them I was thinking about vinegar for a short soak I'm sure that would do it. Anyway this is my delema

I picked up a 77 I am fixing up too. It is a standard and I wanted that. I have an 82 Interstate too with wind protection. For around town low speed type cruising in the hot summertime, wind is your friend. I appreciate both for different reasons. Good luck with your restore. :good:

Well again it's time for this build to get underway. I've picked up some parts for this bike this past week. Now that I have the 78 finally finished I can now focus on the 77 GL1000. In the beginning I was going to do this bike in a candy color and after looking at a few bikes I'm shifting in the other direction. I will keep this one in black frame with a factory colors. One of the first thing I picked up for this bike was a 77 owners manual. To replace the one that is missing from the bike. The second thing I picked up was a headlight ring to hold the headlight in place. I also have a set of used rear pegs that were switched out for boards. NOS OEM yellow reflectors for the headlight front, fuel filter stay and timing belt covers. This should be (fingers crossed) a fairly easy rebuild. This bike was kept inside so the chrome and paint a long with the rims are not in bad shape. The chrome has no pitting in the rear under the seat or anywhere else really. Being said the hardware will be replaced for new finish. Nuts,Bolts, Screws. I also think I'm going to put a fairing on this bike. I've found a complete set of touring package fairly close to me for a real good price and there is no shipping (that close) so this will be a dresser Vetter. I'm going on vacation soon so after I get back this bike will be ongoing project. When this bike is done I will be selling it. It will be a road ready go anywhere ride. My 78 is in the best shape it has been in a long time. Many have seen my last build and know how I role when it comes to doing the best for the buck..! I had an offer on my 78 for 5k from a patient @ my wife's work. She has it up as a screen saver I just might let it (thinking about it) go. I won't make any deals until my 77 is finished. Only then and just maybe. I hope everyone has had a great weekend also the weather down here is finally getting nice to enjoy the riding during the day as well as the night. Have a safe week ahead..!

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161106#p161106:1jryeikl said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am[/url]":1jryeikl]
Looking forward to following the 77 build.
+1 :salute:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161115#p161115:19ew91tl said:
Ansimp » Yesterday, 8:28 pm[/url]":19ew91tl]
[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=161106#p161106:19ew91tl said:
dan filipi » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:08 am[/url]":19ew91tl]
Looking forward to following the 77 build.
+1 :salute:
+2 :clapping:

Okay boys and girls. I pulled the rack out to find the main jets @68. The bike had jardine pipes on it and jetted up high. So I'm unsure of why. :read: I have the timing covers in and the valve covers in as well. I was not going to build this bike to tell you the truth. I'm just tired of trying to keep them going. But then I remembered I'm not made of money so I can't just slap down and get a new one. I can only hope that the 1200 are not as hard to maintin. Just wainting on inner parts for the rack and a few odds and ends.

Attachments

• 20151029_231231.jpg
    20151029_231231.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 814
I would go back to the factory jet setting. On the 1000's you can put on pretty much any exhaust system you want without needing to fiddle around with the jetting. The big problem occurs when, if, you start tinkering with the intake. My 2 cents, make sure the intake is stock and return the jetting to the stock specks and be done with the carb once you clean and reassemble.

Agree stock or maybe one size bigger on main jets. :yes: P O probably thought along the line of thought of less restriction in back pressure requires more fuel, :headscratch: true to a point. :salute:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=162439#p162439:3ajfn5xw said:
Denver » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:54 am[/url]":3ajfn5xw]
Agree stock or maybe one size bigger on main jets. :yes: P O probably thought along the line of thought of less restriction in back pressure requires more fuel, :headscratch: true to a point. :salute:

Truth in this. I put the Jardines on my bike 78 and the plugs showed lean burn. Color change blue and orange (with stock jets). I am putting 62's back in it with Factory mufflers I found out west in PERFECT SHAPE. for a 75. The parts are still coming in from the Fleabay buys got some panel cables and a few extra things. I'm going to build this bike up to show room condition over time I would like to show it someday after I'm done with the 1000. I'll have one with zero miles.

A good soak, a little heat can help too. Sometimes trying to tighten first then loosen will help free it up, kinda work it back and forth. A small impact wrench on a low setting is also helpful as the impact will help break it lose easier than just torquing on it.

Ok I got the front brakes going. Just wondering about the headlight. I don't remember if the high beam and low beam work together or if one go's on and the other go's out OR do they both stay on together. This bike had a fairing on it.. When I switch it to hb the light in the dash don't light up but the tail mini go's dim looks like I'll be going through he wiring on this one to. I am on my 77 today..!

That could be a problem in the reserve lighting unit. Best deal is to bypass the blasted thing and go from there.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=166867#p166867:35en4oks said:
slabghost » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:41 pm[/url]":35en4oks]
That could be a problem in the reserve lighting unit. Best deal is to bypass the blasted thing and go from there.
I will check into this bypass. I'm just getting moving around and reading thr 77 build from Joe..

Ps it does run but the spark is so weak when you give it gas it will knock. I have a set ofr Dyna coils but I think there junk. I swapped them out with Accel it was expensive. I with there was a way to test coils at the house but here it is alive..

https://goo.gl/photos/XcWacjJaHwkPGjhH6

Little bit of valve gas escaping but its needing a spark pep talk

Try removing the hot wire to the coils and patch in a new wire directly from the battery. If that cures the problem for now you can use the old feed to activate a relay and run the new feed through the relay. Be sure to disconnect the jumper wire when you shut down.