1978 GL1000 resto project

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Bike Models
1978 GL1000
Z125
I just bought this beauty and am ready to get her on the road. The previous owner was a younger guy who obviously couldn't handle it, and dropped it at low speed. It scratched up the "tank" a little and broke the front right caliper. Before that it sat for a couple of years with the owner before who was one of the two having all the work done.

The previous owner or owners(there are two names and addresses on a lot of the paperwork) put a lot into this bike. I will log what I know.

May 06: Pads and rotors.
Oct 06: Carbs, plugs, fuel filter, belts, battery, coolant, tires, gear oil, fork and dust seals, fork oil, noted to have previously installed electronic igition. 32,236 on bike.
Dec 06: Sargent seat
Jan 07: Air cutoff valves replaced
Nov 07: Braided brake lines, brake rebuild, cable lube, clutch adjustment, front end alignment, fork springs, sreering head. 34,964 on bike
May 08: Randakk petcock repair kit and oil filter conversion.
Nov 08: Coolant and hoses, oil filter, fuel pump install, swing arm grease, clutch cable lube 34,964 on bike.
Apr 09: Oil filter and tires.
May 09: Randakk electric fuel pump kit.
Feb 10: Oil change and Hagon shocks installed. 35,600 on bike.
Apr 10: Oil and filter
Jun 10: K&N air filter and battery
Jan 11: HEL lines
Mar 12: Oil and filter, dyna coil ignition
Jul 13: Grip and mirrors

The records stop there until early this year when it was transferred to the PO. It also has a fork brace, bar forward clamps, and I believe a Randakk condenser ground upgrade. The exhaust is Jama.

Attachments

• 20230714_064654.jpg
    20230714_064654.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230714_064632.jpg
    20230714_064632.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230714_065348.jpg
    20230714_065348.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
This is my first Goldwing and first "big" bike. Largest before this was the KLR 650 I learned on 20 some years ago and a Ducati Hypermotard.

I believe if I can get that brake caliper fixed and get some fluid in the lines, it will be good to take for a test ride. It is missing at least the bracket, pads, and fasteners. Any suggestions on finding those? Should I rebuild it, ebay a "new" one, or other?

Any other thoughts, questions? I'm here to track this, but much more so because you all have the knowlege I need to bring this to life.

Just make sure you change the timing belts. 5 year age out on them, and they give NO WARNING before failure, which can brick the engine.
Steve
OBTW: welcome to the forum.

Yes, change your belts. Ebay to replace any broken/missing parts. If the fluid has been open to air for long, you may have severe corrosion and solidified brake fluid in the system. Make sure you get a compatible year model as they swapped sides in 77-78 change and there are several piston revisions. Pads are all the same, though. Pads available from many online vendors (parts-n-more, 4into1, etc.) Wingovations.com for the pistons.

Update: I got a caliper off of Ebay and ordered belts and a rebuild kit, but not sure I will need it, the caliper looks pretty good. Yesterday I got the ball rolling on the belt job. I wasn't too anxious about the timing belts, but I sure wasn't expecting radiator removal to be such a pain. Removing the left side horn from its bracket helped a lot. I suspect my hoses and some of the clamps are original, so I ordered some new ones. Antifreeze didn't look too bad, but I will feel better with new in there. Water pump looks healthy, possibly not original. Not sure when they went to metal vanes, but this one doesn't have any plastic. The radiator cap has a lot of corrosion around the edges, but the guts look good. I will probably just clean that and the reservoir.

Belts look good and timing marks all line up. There is some gritty dirt that found its way in past the cover seal, but otherwise it looks good inside. All components appear to be in good condition. I will hopefully get to replacing them sometime this week, but I've been getting a lot of overtime at work this month, so hard to say when I will get the chance to get the old belts out and new belts in. It's kind of funny seeing the two very different naked bikes in my garage next to each other, the Z125 and the Goldwing.

This is available to use on a Goldwing I used one and it works great. I bought it off wish cheap to buy and well worth the wait $12.21 that’s cheap

Attachments

• IMG_5445.png
    IMG_5445.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Update: Got the old belts out. They were obviously older. I wouldn't be shocked if they were from the '06 belt change I have records for. In good shape but dry.

I got the new belts in using the zip tied wrench method. Rechecked the marks, set the tension, turned the engine a few times, and buttoned it up.

I also got the "new" caliper installed.

Next up: Brake fluid and removing old hoses from the radiator.

Probably a stupid question, but are the hose guard slinkies worth putting on the new hoses? They seem to be more of a nuisance than anything.

I have a tool that reaches in to remove the bolts of the cam shaft covers. I never have to remove the radiator anymore. I believe I got it from Sabre Cycle around 1996 or 7

I have a tool that reaches in to remove the bolts of the cam shaft covers. I never have to remove the radiator anymore. I believe I got it from Sabre Cycle around 1996 or 7

I got one with my belts, but figured it would be prudent to change the antifreeze anyway and get a better look at everything to do it the first time. Maybe I will try it that way next time.

Okay, brake fluid changed out, radiator back on and filled. I took a short ride to the gas station and filled the tank with fresh fuel then added Marvel Mystery Oil. Idle is a bit finicky and tends to stall out. I will attach a video in hopes one of the pros can point me where I should go with getting that in line.

Attachments

• 20230728_165255.mp4
    47.4 MB

Latest posts