1981 GL1100 Engine Rattle Noise

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willystyle56

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum and to Goldwings. Recently picked up an 81 gl1100 with what I think is 120,000 miles on it. I believe it had been sitting a while. The guy I bought it from didn't know much about it. Said he never really drove it around after he bought. He was a bit of a collector.

I've been trying my hand at working on it and have tried adjusting the valves a couple times and tried syncing the carbs once. It seems to run ok though I think the idle is a little rough. My main concern right now is a rattle sound in the engine after it warms up. When I first start riding with a cool engine it sounds fine but after it gets up to operating temp and I'm at cruising speed I hear a noticeable rattle. Sounds like it's coming from under the false tank. I don't really notice the noise at idle, decellerating or accellerating. Maybe I can get a recording of the sound.

Going to try adjusting the valves again, syncing carbs, and a good dose of seafoam. Does anyone else have thoughts on what this could be or what else to check? Thanks

Welcome from Southern California! My first thought is the primary chain, but unless it's really bad, it's not worth messing with. I would warm it up, put it on the center stand, fire it up and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. If it's only at cruising speed (bike moving), it might be something loose under the false tank.

Thanks for the replies. I've done quite a bit of reading on here and was thinking primary chain noise but wasn't sure because it only makes it after its warmed up and at cruising speed. I was under the impression that Wings were supposed to be quiet. I was riding a 83 shadow 750 and that engine didn't nearly make the noise this one does.

I'll do the center stand check and see about getting the sound recorded but sounds like to me if I wanna fix it I'll have to turn the radio louder. :music:

Not the primary chain, you rarely hear the primary chain rattle on an 1100 except when the carbs are out of sync and then you only hear it at idle. Describe the rattle more specifically.....does it sound like something is loose or is it more like it is in time with engine speed? I always like to throw this video out there to see if the sound mimics your noise. Listen as the rpm's increase in the video and you can hear a knocking/tapping sound:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SyhI7BDnhE[/video]

Listened to the video a few times and what I hear in it is a constant knocking that doesn't change with the rpms. Am I listening to it correctly? What I have going on with my bike goes along with the rpm and I would say sounds like something loose. Like someone is shaking a cup of marbles under the false tank along with the engine speed. Once I get the bike up to speed I hear it. Then If I accelerate the noise will get quicker but if I accelerate real fast I won't hear it. If I let off the throttle and coast I don't think I hear it either. I'll have to get a recording. It's tough to explain.

Well here's my attempt at capturing the sound. Lots of wind noise... I may try and get a better one later but maybe this helps.

[video]https://youtu.be/0Q__Ys00aeI[/video]

I hear something at 03 and 04 also, sounds to me like what we suspect here being rod knock.
Sounds good otherwise. I'd probably ignore it but I know from the similar sound mine makes but worse, it's irritating and hard to ignore.

Yeah, it might be around :03 and :04 but I think I hear it more starting around :14 and again around :30. Any chance of it being a spark knock or something similar? Does it sound okay to be driving it? Thanks again for your time and replies.

Possibly a spark knock. Real hard to tell without hearing it first hand.
The noise wouldn't concern me at all as long as everything else is good like engine temps are ok.

Have you tried running a tank of premium gas just for a comparison?

Everything else seems good. Engine temp is fine, spark plugs look good, seems to be smooth and have plenty of power. I've been tinkering with it too much to have run a full tank of gas through it yet. I will fill with premium next time and see if it does anything. Maybe get some new plug wires and do a compression test if I feel like tinkering more. Need to spend less time worrying and more time riding. Thanks

hmmmmm .....if it was me ...id drain the oil ...don't change filter ....then put in some thick oil 50w or something ...then run it and see if it changes some or tends to go away ...if so keep using it ...if stay the same good chance its a wrist pin ....also im thinking two of the rod bearings are splash fed im thinking ...not real sure im right on the rod splash part

Oooh that isn't the right speedometer is it? 81 doesn't go that high? I wonder what else isn't original. I'll have to get a pic uploaded.

Sorry you are having problems with your wing. I work on my wings , I have a 81,82 Interstate and an 83 Aspencade I just purchased w/ 21000 miles, working on it. I run mobile 1 10/40 motorcycle oil in my bike and serve me well. some times we forget to shut off the gas and it gets in the oil and thins it out so check that and always shut off the gas when you shut off your wing. I do not like seafoam , I use stabil marine , it helps get rid of water and lubes O rings.I also put in a cap full of marvel mystery oil in every oil change. Balance of the carbs is very important on wings and can cause rattle and idle speed problems.
I don't know if this info helps you but just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in . The old wings are great bikes , I sure enjoy mine and not very hard to work on.
Good luck working on yours.
sonny <///><

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90193#p90193:9u90fc7v said:
sonny4jesus » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 am[/url]":9u90fc7v]
Sorry you are having problems with your wing. I work on my wings , I have a 81,82 Interstate and an 83 Aspencade I just purchased w/ 21000 miles, working on it. I run mobile 1 10/40 motorcycle oil in my bike and serve me well. some times we forget to shut off the gas and it gets in the oil and thins it out so check that and always shut off the gas when you shut off your wing. I do not like seafoam , I use stabil marine , it helps get rid of water and lubes O rings.I also put in a cap full of marvel mystery oil in every oil change. Balance of the carbs is very important on wings and can cause rattle and idle speed problems.
I don't know if this info helps you but just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in . The old wings are great bikes , I sure enjoy mine and not very hard to work on.
Good luck working on yours.
sonny <///><
Hey Sonny! Good to hear from ya! (Been awhile!)