1983 gl1100 running hot.

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110593#p110593:16f5tn9c said:
sonny4jesus » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:20 pm[/url]":16f5tn9c]
I did the fan test with rad cap off. I could see the pump surge as I reved it but it soon started to steam up and spit out antifreez. still the fan on the bike nevers comes on

The fan doesn't ever come on? It should come on when temp gauge is a little past 1/2. Could be the fan is not getting power?

ok I am assuming you saw the pump surge you meant you could see circulation in the radiator ....hmmmm then soon it started spit up steam and anti freeze ... tell me the coolant in the motor getting to the radiator hmmmmm....take the plugs out look at them ... it not sounding good ...it could be back feeding coolant into the radiator maybe .. it don't take much to whip the water pump push ....its sounding a whole lot like head gasket ... but I think I would just take thermostat out and ckeck for instant flow with cap off ... there should be no reason for it not to...if it spits and steams then it almost for sure head gasket ...sheesh belts just changed ...maybe thermostat in backwards hopefully ...be nice if it something like that

I don't know if you have had your raditor checked, sounds like maybe the inner cooling tubes maybe clogged some. The other problem that i have found with this is sometimes the tube in the reseviour tank maybe cracked or split around the top where it goes into the tank. It will cause air being sucked into the readitor instead of water. IF you have flow, the water pump being good, the raditor being clean, the thermostat good ( this is something that i boil and check to make sure it opens at temp) you can get a thermo at wal-mart to put in the water that you are boiling to check for right temp, the head gaskets good, the fan working good - with a good temp sensor,(i had this problem just a couple of months ago) had to change it out. The problem should go away.
(unless your motor has a lot of crud in the water passage tubes and heads.) seen that too.

You could temporarily jumper the fan wires together.. at the sensor behind radiator.. and see if it runs hot... you said the fan did not come on during testing.... that way you eliminate the fan switch sensor since one wire is voltage positive and the other is a return (ground) wire.. no fan running the system will run hot..

Boy , thanks for all the ideas to check. I did put in a new thermostat , yesterday I used a can and a wire to hold the thermo switch ,used motor oil and heated it on my camp stove. I found the 81 switch took 3 times longer to turn on than 2 other thermo switches I have off of an 83 bike. So today I will replace the 81 switch with the 83 thermo switch, will post after test and up load picture of my benny-weeny can tester.
sonny <///><

Praise the Lord It's running great. The oil testing the thrmo switch showed the problem with the 81 part so it now has a 83 used part and the fan works and it does not over heat, amen.
I will let it cool and test it again after lunch.
Thank you all for your input.
Sonny <///><

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo:
Dang 'lectric stuff! :rant:

I gotta see yer beany-weeny set-up.... :smilie_happy:

IMAG0002.JPG

I am not sure the upload worked for the beeny-weeny oil can tester , let me know if it did. I wanted to copy and paste but system would not let me.
sonny <///><

here is a different angle of the benny-weeny oil can tester , i used 30 weight motor oil.
it's a small beeny-weeny can of beans i picked up at wal-mart, o yah , I did eat the beeny-weenys. the screen holding the thermo switch and is a small sink strainer with the center cut out and it fits the beeny -weeny can. I ran the heat on high at first then cut back until I reveived a reading on the ohms meter using X10 on the meter. also time the event to see how long it take the thermo unit to show a reading. the bad one i had was taking 3 times as long as a good one to show a reading so thats why my bike was over heating , no fan switch.
I hope this helps some one who may have a problem like mine.
thanks again the all the input , you are all a great bunch of biker friends.
sonny <///><

Attachments

• IMAG0005.JPG
    IMAG0005.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 105