1983 GL1100AD front brake caliper

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Mantle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put callipers off another model onto a GL1100AD? I sheared a bleed nipple off one of my front callipers and consequently bleeding is now a pain - I had to drill out the remains and insert a bolt into the hole because the base of the hole is damaged and thus refuses to seal off the fluid as it should.
I believe that the brake pads off the CB900 / CB1000 also fit the calliper but do the callipers swap over.
Just to help clarify things the 1983 GL1100AD has twin pot callipers and activate an anti-dive mechanism .

Many thanks in advance for any help.

83 was the first year of linked brakes so front calipers differ from each other. Which caliper has the issue? Others have swapped out brake components and will know better than I what will fit. I'm pretty sure previous models won't fit properly. Maybe one side will? A little patience and I'm sure an answer is coming.

The offending calliper is the one on the left ( when sat on bike ) . This is the one that operates the front brake.
I could always remove the linkage and make the front operate both discs , with the rear separate.
This would entail a new front brake lever set-up and I have some old spares over from a 1980 GL1100 which would be adaptable for the rear brake.
In any case I would still need appropriate callipers for the brake mounting brackets.

Try the caliper from your part bike. If it fits the fork see if the pads are fully on the rotor. If not you may need the rotor also. If this works the master will operate it once it's bled. I've not done this so consider it as a suggestion only. Activity here on the forum has dropped off lately now that we have weather acceptable for riding. I hope this helps.

It`s a good idea but not sure about mixing rotor sizes. The left hand brake - the one damaged is twin piston calliper - the one of my parts bike is single piston ( same size as CX500 ). Since this is the side that operates the front brake ( being linked system the other rotor is actuated by the rear or foot brake ) then not sure about down grading the efficiency of the braking system

The rotors on the Aspencades are thicker than the those on the standard and interstate models. As a result, the calipers have a wider gap. I think you have to use a caliper off of an 83 Aspencade.

David Mantle":2jz35ri8 said:
It`s a good idea but not sure about mixing rotor sizes. The left hand brake - the one damaged is twin piston calliper - the one of my parts bike is single piston ( same size as CX500 ). Since this is the side that operates the front brake ( being linked system the other rotor is actuated by the rear or foot brake ) then not sure about down grading the efficiency of the braking system
Going from two pot to single isn't exactly a down grade. Single pot is more than capable of locking the front wheel. Easiest fix is replace with the same caliper. You did ask for alternatives. Mixing rotors shouldn't cause any issues either as all rotors are balanced as long as it fits the wheel properly. It's your bike and the risks are yours.

david the 83 is the odd ball ....im not sure witch one of the front calipers you missed up....the brakes on the 83 have different pistons from one side to the other .....the rotors on dual piston brakes are realy to narrow for single piston calipers ...if it were me id try and fix the bleeder ...retap it or something ....not easy to change things on a a 83 ..... :mrgreen:

Latest posts