1983 sport tour

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlslick

Reaction score
Ok, just getting started on this. My 83 naked with some hondaline luggage ( not interstate or aspencade these are removable to take into the hotel ) and brackets made to mount a trunk rack to the saddlebag frame. Still thinking about whether to try and match the brown, paint them black or leave them alone and just ride it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 200
Hmmmmm.....the color doesn't stop you from riding......soooo....RIDE!! :smilie_happy:

I painted my Hondaline bags. Take a look to see if you get any ideas. Here they are in their original brown color when I first started painting the bike:

image.php

Here they are with matching black paint:

image.php

joedrum":2pvjy9ly said:
...hmmmm the back rack is big it seems ..what dose it look like with the bags off...
Hey! Joe is right! That rack has been modified to be mounted without the trunk! (Look at my rack).

I love the Vetter equipment. Craig has done us all so well with his stuff, but I too like the Hondaline bags over anything else.
jmdr.jpg.jpg

carl62cycles":abuo14e7 said:
CM85":abuo14e7 said:
I love the Vetter equipment. Craig has done us all so well with his stuff, but I too like the Hondaline bags over anything else.
What mufflers are installed on your attachment bike cm85? Looks good :eek:k:
Thanks - ..those are stock Harley Davidson mufflers from a Road King.

CM85":3jhz7kus said:
carl62cycles":3jhz7kus said:
CM85":3jhz7kus said:
I bet they sound as good as they look :rocks:

carl62cycles":3rbige9q said:
CM85":3rbige9q said:
carl62cycles":3rbige9q said:
CM85":3rbige9q said:
I bet they sound as good as they look :rocks:
I like them : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Bhhm_sDGQ

I don't want to hi-jack the thread.
Thanks Joe. I'm continuously trying to improve the bike.
The exhaust is pretty straight forward. I used a piece of coat-hanger wire to use as a template for the bends at the exhaust shop where I had the middle pieces made. I had extras made. Still have a couple sets left. I use aftermarket three-piece clamps meant for the HD mufflers at the muffler end and regular exhaust clamps at the header end. Rear support is still what it was when I put the mufflers on; just some simple brackets that clamp to the Hondaline case frame and to one of the two muffler support mounts that are built into the mufflers. No gasketing of any kind required as I had the connecting pipes expanded for a nice, tight fit. Actually, the mufflers will hang in the position there are now in with no clamps at all - the fit is that tight.
Note - the Road King mufflers come in a variety of styles or configurations. Mine have no cross-over ports, are fully baffled and the left is baffled different from the right. Understand that Harley baffles the paired mufflers different from each other for sound only, and nothing else. They each flow the same as the other. Harley tried *unsuccessfully* to patent their sound.

The center connection pieces I had made:
0403121543.jpg

Three-piece clamps that I use = stainless:
0402122130a.jpg

A crude showing of what I had to what I have now:
New_Old_Exhaust.jpg

The clamps in place:
0403121543a.jpg

My simple rear connecting mounting that was meant to be temporary until I made something better/stronger. Still using it as shown though:
0326121656d.jpg

nice info and complete answer cm85...yes i like vetterbag setup they come off have the best access when on the bike ...and a bike looks rather standard looking when bags are off ...hardware is good and not over done looking to hold a bag..imgoing to have a nice vetter put together in the works now :mrgreen: