1984 1200 Interstate ignition system test

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
Hi I am having a restore quest. I have manged to check a few things before engine start I was wondering if there is a way to check the ignition system for spark and power and and such.

Any reason to suspect something's wrong?

Pulser continuity can be verified, power to the coils verified, coil resistance verified and plug wire integrity is measurable (but the real test is under load).

The quickest check for basic function is to pull a plug, wire it up, lay it on the aluminum case and hit the starter button. RUN/STOP switch must be on. You should get a spark across the electrodes.

But, unless you expect there's a problem, ignition is pretty solid on the 84's. I had one. I'd just go for it and run through diagnostics if there's a confirmation of no fire.

Just don't put a meter to the black box (electronic control module), it's transistorized and will mess it up. Make sure your vacuum line off # 4 carb up to ECM is good, timing is controlled electronically in first, second and third gear and by vacuum in 4th and 5th gear.

Latest posts