1984 GL1200 Interstate starter disaster.....

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
0930161623.jpg
bT I did a stupid and overpacked the gears and the starter cracked the housing on the gear section. It stopped turning. I took it apart and removed grease and checked motor part and it was going strong. I tried putting it back together with less grease and put a hose clamp around it but now it just sounds like the starter motor is turning and the engine isn't turning with it. I am assuming I broke something in the gear area and it isn't putting power to the sprocket. Where can I find another gear section for it? Obviously a rebuild won't help now.

Be sure you keep up with what came off your motor as far as sprocket and such because sometimes they are different. As long as you keep up with yours you should be okay.

Thanks for fast response. I was looking and I noticed some starters are listed for 85 to 87. What fits what? They look the same as the 84. Will other models of 1200 fit ? I thought I saw a cross reference somewhere but I can get one for as little as 50 or so it's a 86 aspercade.

Not sure if the drive gears of 84 differs or not. 85-87 are essentially identical. Almost any parts interchange. Both 83 and 84 were one of a kind. My guess would be any of the 1200 starters will fit although the mount points may differ some. If memory serves joedrum has a 1000 starter fitted to his 1200.

84 is a 1 year wonder much like the 83 so I'd stay with an 84 starter if you can find one.

Send me a PM as a reminder to have a look...I have an 84 motor and an FI motor I can compare starters on.

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181506#p181506:1ogqboqu said:
backlander » 57 minutes ago[/url]":1ogqboqu]
And stay away from the Chinese starters off eBay, some fit and some don't.
Yes, and some turn backward!

Ok thanks. I Am having trouble finding a 84 so please let me know as soon as you can. I have to order it off the web

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=181513#p181513:1ruk9i0p said:
Nightcorona » Yesterday, 5:36 pm[/url]":1ruk9i0p]
Ok thanks. I Am having trouble finding a 84 so please let me know as soon as you can. I have to order it off the web
Hard to tell for certain with them on the motor in the back garage and the other on the runner on the front driveway but they sure look identical. Only way I could say for certain would be to remove both and try fitting them. I might be able to do that tomorrow if you need me to.

:hi: :Awe: Thanks, it wouldnt hurt for reference. I noted that all the parts places had them separated. A bigger myster is why the interstate is a gl1200i which means injected I am assuming and mine only goes under the regular Gl1200 which wasnt supposed to be a Interstate I have a pretzel in my head???? :Awe:

What a nightmare. Should I buy a OEM one that most likely needs rebuilding or a new one that may be ok but not as rough and tough?? :head bang:

Latest posts