1984 Gl1200 stalls intermitten when let off throttle at stop

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightcorona

Reaction score
It seems to be running much better now I did what everybody told me....thanks everybody. I now seem to have found a new problem. When I slow down at a light and pull in the clutch and let go of the throttle the tach dives way down and then sometimes it stalls and then sometimes it recovers. Has anybody seen this before?? :moped:

Not sure where your idle is but try that, if not what can happen if you have a vacuum leak is it will pull from any leaks as soon as you let off the throttle when vacuum is greater in the intake manifolds, I would spray some starting fluid around the manifolds where they bolt to the heads and where the rubber manifolds clamp to the carbs. besides that if you have a fuel supply that is hard for the idle circuit to pull from (clogged or partially clogged idle jets/circuit) you can get the same results.
If it is running OK enough you might just take it out on an open highway for a 20 or more mile ride, many times just riding can clear clogs/bugs or make them worse but worse is at least worse is more visible.

Sounds like your pilot screws are out of adjustment, normally if your rpm falls sharply below and comes back to or hangs and falls slowly to your set idle rpm it indicates that your fuel/air mix ratio determined by your pilot screws is off. There is a procedure for setting them in the service manuals in the gallery. Page 4-4 gallery/album.php?album_id=1169

Yes will try that and yes they are stock carbs. What to switch but need to know best combo of intake and carb type for best mileage.

Latest posts