1984 Interstate Tail lights...adding more lights?

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent1984

Reaction score
I would like to add more rear lights to my bike. I bought a few LED light strips at the local bike show that will work but not look stock or even look very good. My bike only has the 2 small tail lights and seperate turn signal lights out back...otherwise they are only reflectors. Can I buy lights to replace my badge on my truck from a newer year that will match up and look stock or am I going to have to get creative?? Any help would be nice before I start drilling and making a mess...Thanks for now!!

I was hoping to add an extra brake light/running light

Attachments

• Trunk with reflector badge.JPG
    Trunk with reflector badge.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 386
  • Trunk without reflector badge.JPG
    Trunk without reflector badge.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 385
  • Tail lights.JPG
    Tail lights.JPG
    22.7 KB · Views: 384
I bought LED strip lights...I don't want to drill into the body or have wires hangin out. It is a clean bike and I want to keep it as stock looking as possible.

could add dual element socket and LED equivalent to 1157 bulbs in the center light of the lower bar.

I have thought about the LEd 1157 bulb...good idea but I was thinking of the extra brake light like cars mostly have now?? More is better...and safer too!! Where would I buy the dual socket from??

Here are the item numbers that I used on the Rats Nest for the 1157 dual replacements

I used the flat ones in the Vetter Top Box, Steve said that they both seemed bright

I should of said eBay item numbers. Make sure your additional brake led is nice and bright, I have tried a few of the LED replacement bulbs and most of the cheap ones are not bright enough

with all the cars that hit bright yellow buses with strobe lights and semi trucks lit like christmas trees I don't think lights make the ride any safer. Just my opinion though.

I removed the center strep on my 85 interstate.. steel wooled the top and bottom of the inside to remove flash from the original painting process of the interstate logo.. and glued the strips in the top and bottom of the strip and ran wires with the turn and running lights.. clean install and added some stop light glow... I know they are not the brightest.. but hey I am still experimenting here..

Attachments

• 2013-10-11 09.52.23.png
    2013-10-11 09.52.23.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 2013-10-11 09.59.38.png
    2013-10-11 09.59.38.png
    27.1 KB · Views: 308
It is actually pretty straight forward.
I even have a circuit drawing somewhere for how I did the wiring if you wanted it.
I have tail light and brake light from each LED strip.

I think I spent all of about $20-25 for all the trunk lights and I still have more than half of the 5 meter role I bought.

Since I built them in segments Like Right side and left side and then Center panel I could even break that up to work with a wigwag brake light modulator. If you really wanted to get tricky it is pretty easy to do.
I plan to add LED's in the bottom areas when I get time, although I will still keep the bulbs in their positions so the Light sensor still works.

Mine came with the lights in the center reflector, all sorts of splicing and cutting done to it to make it work (I guess, it wasn't working when I bought the bike). I haven't decided if I'm going to fix it proper or not mess with it yet.
Started life as a naked '84, has a vetter front and I guess OE bags rear?

where they spliced into the main lights

ugh, just a mess

I've seen worse, :whistling: in a job of this sort, just replace any & all those rotten connector's with solder, & shrink wrap, or locking plug type connector's, similar to the stock one's. :yes:

Latest posts