1984 Interstate with no brake lights??

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent1984

Reaction score
New Goldwing owner...I've had my 1984 Interstate for just over a week and now I don't have any brake lights?? Any help would be appreciated!!

The fuse is common to the horn and signals...they work. We tried different bulbs and have taken apart every conection we could and it all looks good. The book said to check the relay...we fould it up beside the radiator filler tank...how can this be tested?? Front brake lever clicks...rear doesn't amke any sound but it's more like a plunger style...

switches can be checked with an ohm meter.Switch portion of the relay can also be checked with ohm meter if the coil is energized.

well...if you talk real simple, I bet I can do waht you ask??

Another thing we tried...was to unplug the 2 wires from the front brake lever and put a piecs of copper wire between them to short them out...that didn't work either. I can fix most broken things...but electrical issues are not my thing...

All the plugs have been taken apart and checked under seat. I had working brake lights when I brought it home...not sure exactly when it stopped working??

if jumping the connections doesn't cause the lights to come on it isn't a switch problem there is a bad ground or no power.

Welcome to the CGW Forums, Brent1984!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Brent1984":33ofq5lm said:
The fuse is common to the horn and signals...they work. We tried different bulbs and have taken apart every conection we could and it all looks good. The book said to check the relay...we fould it up beside the radiator filler tank...how can this be tested?? Front brake lever clicks...rear doesn't amke any sound but it's more like a plunger style...

Does it look like this ? https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1983-Honda-Goldw ... 43ae36b546

For members here $20.00 plus actual shipping ! (little less than $10.00)

what I think I have found is round in shape with 4 flat pins...it was tucked up front infront of the filler tank for my radiator inside a rubber boot. I used a tester on the 4 plugs on the relay...top and bottom on the left had no continuity but the right side did?? I read somewhere that both sides should have any continuity???

Brent1984":3lsuuyfb said:
I have a picture of the relay but don't know how to post it??
When your making a post, scroll down and you'll see the attach file buttons.
You can choose the picture then it will upload.

relay 1.JPG

see if this works??

I checked the left 2 pins for continuity...nothing.
then it said to put 12v to the right 2 pins and check continuity again on the left pins, this time there was continuity.
The book said that both test should have had no coninuity...and if there was any either time...to replace the relay. Now...where do I find one??

If the relay works energizing one side will give you continuity on the other side. It's an electrically activated switch.

I agree with what you're sayin but that isn't what the silly book says?? So if you're correct...I'm back at the beginning with no idea where to go next!!

Latest posts