1985 GL1200 Limited Edition Fuel Injectors

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are two different injectors for the '85 LTD, non-paint 16120-MG9-951 and blue paint 16130-MG9-951. Don't know the difference either. Maybe one is from an '85 Prelude, the other from an '85 Civic - stranger things have happened :smilie_happy: :smilie_happy:

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=189057#p189057:xuj1dofi said:
Ansimp » 53 minutes ago[/url]":xuj1dofi]
Traditionally in Japanese manufacturing the paint dots were QA.

Thanks for the info. Wonder why the difference in part numbers, especially the first 5?

As an aside, going to get my brother to take the injectors off the other '85 and send them to me. Can have these cleaned and flow tested or I can do it myself and then do a remove and replace, minimum down time. Then I can do the same to the ones I take out and put back in the other '85. Good compromise.

Cheers

I have a mobile guy that cleans and pressure tests injectors for me. You can actually watch the spray patterns before and after cleaning. Well worth the $25 aud per injector to eliminate any problems.

Seems everywhere else but here in Canada has neat ways to do things and have things done. I believe there are travelling mechanics, but what they do to new cars would not be very much. Nothing in the way of mobile motorcycle mechanics - cottage industry anyone?

Cheers

The guy I was referring to Ernest is a mobile injector cleaner. Most of us in the trade remove the injectors from the engine and he cleans them for us but he will also do the whole job ( remove, clean and replace) for extra labour costs.

Figured he was a mobile unit. There are those around here but not doing injector type work - sharpening knives, lawn mower servicing, car wash and the likes. Fairly easy to remove the injectors from the '85 LTD - going to make up a cleaning/test rig.

Cheers

Once again I am hostage to being on an island and having to rely on a ferry system for the on/off issue. I'm a proponent of a bridge to the mainland close to Vancouver. There are no services on the island to do this work that I have found so far. Always interesting trying to get parts and do maintenance.

Cheers

Fuel injectors from my second LTD on the way, hopefully start that next week. From perusing the various forums and reading about carb issues, glad I have a fuel injected model. I do know that once carbs are setup and kept clean, generally trouble free motoring for quite a while.

Going to put together a test rig and run a lot of carb cleaner solution through each injector. For pressure I think a garden sprayer will work. Something small I can pressurize and it is inexpensive - picture an example:
garden sprayer.jpg

An older thread, but the topic is always a good discussion item.

As of late, have been asking about this very topic at morning coffee with the old guys who have been mechanics for quite some time. Mentioned the symptoms on start and Bruce - a recently retired but good all round mechanic - seems to think the injectors are causing me a lot of this grief. I reviewed my thread and Tony also has some sage advice as well.

Started doing more research on the internet into fuel injectors and the types available. For my '85 LTD FI model, the fuel system specs are:

With the engine not running the pressure should be 2.4-2.7 kg/cm' (34-38 psi).
At idle (1,000 ±100 rpm). The pressure should be 2.0-2.4 kg/cm^ (28-34 psi)
The specified capacity is 630 cc (21.3 oz.) per minute minimum, OR 37.8 liters per hour minimum OR 10.0 US gals/hr minimum.

The injectors for this bike were cleaned and flow tested. Flow rate at 40 PSI was 65/66 ml (CC) with a resistance of 2.5 ohms.

Taking all this into account, the injectors are low impedance, peak and hold injectors. Peak and hold injectors are also generally high flow injectors. A downside to having low impedance injectors is that they are generally more expensive than high impedance injectors.

The following is probably in regards to a car FI system, but the theory and premise should be the same - "The Peak current is the amount required to quickly jolt the injector open, and then the lower Hold current rating is used to keep it open for as long as the ECU commands. These require the extra kick from the higher current to keep the opening and closing time of the injector stable at the higher fuel flow rate. With this type of driver, 12 volts is still delivered to the injector, but due to the its low resistance, the current in the driver circuit is high. How high? Using Ohms Law we can calculate the current rating (12v/2 ohms = 6 amps). This is substantial current flow and a Saturated Injector cannot handle it. The drivers also come in two values; 4 amp peak/1 amp hold, and 2 amp peak/0.5 amp hold."

The high impedance injectors are termed saturated injectors. High impedance injectors have a resistance between 10 and 14 ohms. Low impedance injectors have a resistor pack.

This web site: https://www.hondata.com/tech-low-high-i ... -injectors recommends using high impedance injectors.

Went to another site, a Honda civic forum: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/e ... tion-9292/ and there is some good information there. Post #1 is very informative and gives more clarification on injectors to be used. Using this post as a guide, the flow rate specified by Honda for the '85 LTD could support up to 126 HP, fuel pp flow rate divide by 5 - good approximation.

Here are the conversions that can be used:

Conversions
660cc per minute is approximately equal to 65 lbs per hour which is equal to approximately 126 hp.
lbs/hour = cc per minute / 10.2
lbs per hour = HP / 2.04
cc per minute = lbs per hour x 10.2
cc per minute = HP x 5
HP = cc per minute / 5
HP = lbs per hour x 2.04

Another site that is good information is: https://www.promracing.com/injector.php/ It's a guide to sizing fuel injectors. Using the site calculator, and 124 HP, it recommends a fuel injector size that flows 19 Lbs/hr. Even at a flywheel HP of 100, the recommendation is for an injector with a fuel flow of 19 lbs/hr.

Have perused the Supplement for this bike and the schematics illustrate that there is a resistor unit for the injectors. This site: https://performancefuelsystems.com/Injec ... Corner.htm indicates that using high impedance fuel injectors in a low impedance fuel injector circuit since the amperage needed to open the high resistance injector is lower and within the limits of the peak-and-hold driver circuit. It is not recommended to use low impedance fuel injectors in a high impedance fuel injector circuit.

Have to take all this information and try to make some sense of it all. The other issue is finding the specs on fuel injectors that you find on line so that I can find a fuel injector that is close to the amount of fuel required without having more fuel flow than necessary.

Cheers

Do you think that you have a failing injector? Are you sure that your fuel pressure regulator is working correctly? The fuel filter is flowing properly? The pump is flowing properly at pressure? I fought a stalling while hot issue with SEi, which was cured with a new fuel pump (actually an auto pump that fit). I've never heard of a fuel injector failing on an LTD or SEi, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Have the Spectra SP1186 installed. Have checked the fuel system pressures, IAW OEM specs, tells me the fuel pressure regulator is working as it should. The fuel filter is not 2 years old.

The injector resistance spec is 1.5 to 1.8 ohms, the original OEM injectors were 2.5 ohms when I had them cleaned and flow tested. The service manual calls for them to be replaced if out of spec. When the injectors were cleaned and flow tested the injector flows were 65/66 ml (CC). Don't know if this in spec as there is no mention of the flow rate in the service manual.

The only fuel flow mentioned is from the fuel pp with a minimum flow of 630 cc/min.

The issue could be leakage, or because of the resistance reading, too much fuel is being admitted.

Have calibrated the TPS to 0.475 VDC IAW with the manual.

The issue I have is that the bike on cold start has a fuel smell that is indicative of too much fuel being admitted into the cylinders. I notice on the first start of the day, what looks like fuel coming out of the exhaust because I can see drops of whatever coming out of the exhaust onto the garage floor. I have replaced the IAC valve that is to admit additional air into the cylinders on start.

Could it be the reed valves as well, possibly. Vacuum hoses are 34 years old - on the list for replacement this coming winter.

Where to go with this is a mystery to me, but I will chase it down.

Still looking for the solution.

Cheers

Latest posts