1985 GL1200 LTD Reg/Rec

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a rewinder that I use here in Brisbane. Is it possible to see if you have access to someone that could rewind your stator for you. As can be seen by the job that he did on the Buell stator I prefer his work to most aftermarket products.

viewtopic.php?p=138432#p138432

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=172734#p172734:319tx34i said:
Ansimp » Today, 2:43 pm[/url]":319tx34i]
I have a rewinder that I use here in Brisbane. Is it possible to see if you have access to someone that could rewind your stator for you. As can be seen by the job that he did on the Buell stator I prefer his work to most aftermarket products.

Will be going to a local electrical shop where I have had boat alternators rebuilt. Will discuss it with them.

I've had some very good comments of late, and I will be taking the engine out to determine what has gone amiss. Not something I had intended to do, but it is prudent. I will do a stator replacement at this time only because the engine will be out. Probably won't do a second one.

Cheers

The capacitor is in place to dampen the pulses in a 3 phase alternator which "helps" stop the whine they create and slightly affect the rectifier operation even though it's job is to take out those peaks completely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terry. Right on in every situation. When done right it works and lasts. Hondas have a nasty habit of using undersized wires and open connectors that passably function when brand new but deteriorate as they get older. They try using a lot of relays but the supply and controlled sides often are undersized for capacity

Rednaxs I've had great luck with the poor boy conversion on my 85 LTD. GOOD CLEAN STEADY electricity

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=174507#p174507:3iqd4t9w said:
Donpauli2 » Today, 4:26 pm[/url]":3iqd4t9w]
Rednaxs I've had great luck with the poor boy conversion on my 85 LTD. GOOD CLEAN STEADY electricity

I will not be changing the stator, instead I'm back to Plan C - install alt mod. Have a 50 amp alt, have the pieces for the crank pulley. Will be doing the alt install after I come back from my road trip next week (have to take the 1800).

Do have the engine out and have been doing additional work. Rebuilt the clutch MC and slave, rebuilt the clutch, rebuilt the starter clutch, new clutch SS teflon lines from MC to slave, took out the old charging and stator wiring, rebuilt fuel shut off valve, and still have a few left to do.

I have been asked why do all this work. This is a 32 year old bike and most of the work I have done is maintenance and replacing parts that are worn and should be replaced after 30 years. I have also mentioned that any used bike after 8 to 10 years old requires the same amount of TLC, maybe not all at once, but will have to be done over time. I am also amortizing this work over a 5 year period and the cost is not that much. As long as the engine does not use oil and keeps performing, I will have a very nice bike to ride.

I will also not have to revisit a lot of these items for a good 5 to 10 years, so as Esso once said, Happy Motoring!!

Cheers

A couple of caviats - these older bikes are easier to work on than the newer 1800s (have one), you should/must be able to do your own work (not so easy to find a shop to work on these older bikes, time and material work practices get expensive), you have to be flexible in finding parts/pieces, and expect to do a few mods every now and then. After all this, these are great bikes.

Cheers

Have had several bikes in my life so far. New is nice, but NOT worth the price, not even for a Wing. :nea: These 1200's are unbelieveable pieces of machinery, if not abused & maintained will just keep on going, & are almost impossible to wear out. :yes:

Just my two cents here. I have a 1200 LTD and struggled constantly to keep it OEM until I put the second stator in. The poboy conversion and some #4 cable for alt starter battery and ground created a truly more efficient bike electrically speaking

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177914#p177914:2y7nn9le said:
Donpauli2 » Yesterday, 4:14 pm[/url]":2y7nn9le]
Just my two cents here. I have a 1200 LTD and struggled constantly to keep it OEM until I put the second stator in. The poboy conversion and some #4 cable for alt starter battery and ground created a truly more efficient bike electrically speaking

Have to update what I have accomplished, but agree with your sentiments on tying to keep everything original. There comes a time when a mod is required. I have been riding mine for some 2K and everything is working fine, and as it should. I expect quite a few years and kilometres out of this old girl.

Cheers

They were the Flagship of their day, top of the line, the way we used to do thing's. :yes: Even the lowly 305's could cruse with the big dog's, :hihihi: Harley's, Triumph's, could out run them in speed & power. But like it or not, they were always in your mirror, :Awe: seldom broke down, :roll: cost WAY less to own & operate. :rant:Then the Wing came along, and whole new ballgame emerged :smilie_happy:

Just a short update on the work and alt mod that I have done. The bike is operating well, the alt mod is quite nice and working as I expected. I do inspect the alt mod install and have found no issues to date. Have 5000 km on it since putting the bike back on the road. The bike doesn't use/burn oil, gets 49 MPG on the highway solo and 47 MPG two up. Around the city approximately 42 MPG. Doesn't get any better.

Still have a couple of items to address, but that is expected.

Took the bike to Rich's Custom Seats in Kingston WA and had the seat modified for the better half and myself along with the tour pack backrest. Had the arm rests and rear pockets covered to match as well, and a back rest for myself installed. I now have a Corbin seat and tour pack backrest for a 1200 to get rid of. This work has really set off the bike. Also know that if the butt is not comfortable, especially the better half's, won't be doing long rides on it.

Cheers

A couple of pics of the bike seat:

Bike Seat 1.jpg

Bike Seat 2.jpg

The Corbin Seat is in very good condition for its age. It is the "Master's Seat". It is actually quite comfortable; however, the rider seat was too low for myself, I'm 6'2".

Corbin Seat - tour backrest.jpg

Corbin Seat 2.jpg

Corbin Seat 3.jpg

Corbin Seat 4.jpg

Cheers