1985 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverado6x6

Reaction score
20130822_144133.jpg

Just picked up an 85 Interstate, does run but currently has a bad starter, I surmise the starter from my free 81 gl1100 will fit, is missing the panel over batery, ebay has none, speaker cover missing, rear lower trunk is cracked, tear in seat, seat from 81 looks to be a candidate.
Btw I traded a Winchester Model 70 .300 winchester magnum with a Burris scope for it, less than $400 invested in rifle, this makes my ninth bike now, picked up a 77 Yamaha XS750 last saturday for $50, the owner of my company has been ranting the last couple of weeks for a blue Goldwing, now I have one.
Next step is to chase down all the gremlims, body parts and of course r&r the starter.
And since its a Goldwing I can return now to the forums :music:

The PO was told the engine has to come out to change the starter, solenoid goes click but a direct jump across its terminal does nothing, so it looks to me like the exhaust comes off at the least, the 81 with the bad engine has a fully functioning starter and they look the same externally, am I wrong to assume the 81 an earlier 1100 starter will work on an 85 1200? I am guessing the internal grounding tabs are so far corroded no earth path is present, or its a brush problem The PO also coincidentally has worked with my wife for years and she has seen him riding bike to work so he claims it runs. In the 0 dark thirty next morning I will give bike the full rundown inspection and cost evaluation of restoration, needs a little bit of replacement panel work so far, and left mirror stay seems crunched when bike was dropped.

I have one also.. recently picked up.. last battery side cover I saw on straight wings web site (iirc) was like 145.. right side... 35.. yeah why you say you came back... experience counts no matter what ride you have... we can always use info regardless ...

Joep

I was over at the Venture Riders forum but have lost interest, all I read is more touchy feely comments, not enough tech and adventure, plus they want membership dues. Why was I away? because the last bike I picked up was an awesome running 89 Royale, love that bike!!! Rides better than my 2009 Star cruiser. So now I have two Goldwings, at least this one is rideable.

Different gear head size? Ok, is it really a PITA to remove starter? But being told engine has to come out? Really, it cannot be that bad.

I hope the PO isn't a member of this forum, he was led to believe the motor had to come out, he just bought a new battery for the bike. He was asking $1000 for bike, going price here in Alaska for that era is at least $1500-$2500, not a whole lot of mid 80's Wings up here.
I was hoping to get some sort of a barter on a 2002 Wing up in Fairbanks 300 miles north of me, it too was on Craigslist, rider hit a moose it appears, fairing up in front of dash obliterated, rest of bike in good shape, asking $2500, same year model is selling for $10,000 up here. probably would cost me around $2k in parts, hardly anything in used body fairing on Ebay for that year though.

you might need to drop the exhaust to get the starter out and the left engine guard. Leave it on the side stand it will make it easier to keep the chain and gear in place inside.
If the PO were a member here I'd think he would have known that.

Was not aware there is a floppy gear/chain arrangement the starter has to be engaged with, that advice was very helpful indeed.
Another reason why I like this forum, people here actually help, you arrive at the venture forum with new questions you just get heckled and laughed at. The last month I have been neck deep in restoring two Ventures, one the 83 had been in storage for 17 years after a house fire, finally got a cheap CDI for it a couple days ago, and the 89 Royale I changed out the headlight for an HID, new 3-way 4" speakers, new Shinko 230 Tourmaster tires, new stator.
I was comparing all the luggage from the 81 GL1100 to the 85 GL1200, both are Interstates but the 81 has the on board air compressor, I might just fit that onto the 85,false tank cover is different, did notice the front fairing is mucho different as it has a round headlight with a visor and chrome louvers over TS lamps, the 81 top trunk has a lot of chrome light housings and a top rack, possibly the 81 radio/amplifier can be made to work in the 85, otherwise I am installing a CD.ipod car type of radio in the 85.
I kinda like the retro looking 81 fairing more so than the 85, maybe just maybe I could instead swap the 1200 engine into the 81?
just a thought. this 85 is kinda basic, hardly any frills, bells whistles or leggy ladies on it.

Found a broken wire terminal from winding to brush plate.
Will solder new one on later. Starters are definately different at the gear end.

Today I may drive to Anchorage, fella has a basket case 82 GL1100 he wants to get rid of, maybe I will get lucky and get a decent wiring harness, carbs ignition and an engine for that free 81 Interstate I picked up this summer. i was comparing the luggage from the 81 to the 85, totally different in every way, the 85 is a plain jane interstate, the 81 has the compressor radio, a decent trunk with rack, lots of chrome doodads on trunk and fairing, nice fairing. has that round locomotive looking headlight with a visor. Not a whole lot of 85 plastic on Ebay, I find much more for my Ventures.

And that starter was indeed a bear, removed guard, dropped the exhaust about 3", removed rear stud on cylinder head at #4 cyl for said exhaust, removed shifter, starter wiggled out. Works better if a person drains engine oil first.

Man I hate Alaska with a purple passion right now, just rode into town in cold fog, just had a week of rain, parked bike on a gravel driveway at a friends house, tested the stand, felt ok, and then suddenly over she goes.
This is my 89 venture Royale and two of us barely got it back up. Friggin Alaska with it don't blink short darn summer.Won't see any more warm days from now on, just rain. I am making plans to be gone for the 6 to 7 months of winter. Really pissed right now, no damage to bike.

Yesterday afternoon I was sent out with my fully loaded concrete mixer I drive to job, truck is almost 80, 0000 pounds.
Yahoo bozos decided it at to be done at 4pm, just had a week of rain, dirt road up a hill was all clay, truck gets almost to the top and with brakes locked up it just skids backwards. Second truck arrives, he tries it in reverse, same thing, we put snow chains on, just digs a hole. A third 4wd truck an 50 feet of chain gets second truck to top of hill and then they hook up to my mixer and with combined pulling drag my ass up the hill.
But it doesnt end there, bozos do not stake the form right and a square pad turns round when the forms blow out, another day of my life, finally got off work at 630 pm, now I start another at 6am.