1985 Interstate

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from Anchorage, turns out the 82 was actually an 84 GL1200, motor is all there, was somebodies chopper project, has ape hangers on it, basically bare frame, motor and some decent looking metzelers front and rear.

Even had a title for it, I paid the guy $50 for the bike who has the same amount of bikes I have except his are mostly Harley's, he owns a small but very nice motorcycle shop. I may just pull everything off the 82 and swap with the 84, all the 82 Interstate fairing on an 84 because I have a title for the 84 but not one for the 82.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93778#p93778:38mnbrdi said:
Silverado6x6 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:46 pm[/url]":38mnbrdi]
Just got back from Anchorage, turns out the 82 was actually an 84 GL1200, motor is all there, was somebodies chopper project, has ape hangers on it, basically bare frame, motor and some decent looking metzelers front and rear.

Even had a title for it, I paid the guy $50 for the bike who has the same amount of bikes I have except his are mostly Harley's, he owns a small but very nice motorcycle shop. I may just pull everything off the 82 and swap with the 84, all the 82 Interstate fairing on an 84 because I have a title for the 84 but not one for the 82.
That's quite a deal! I've been riding my 84 daily. I'm really happy with it over all.

I will post a pic in the morning, pretty darn tire right now, made 5 concrete deliveries before 11am and then had to drive to Anchorage to pick up the 84. Since most everything has been removed from the 84 except the engine I may just go ahead and strip it down completely to be powder coated. then I will have to see just what 82 parts will fit on it.

82 parts may need modified to fit as the 1200 frame is a bit different. I'm sure some of it will fit though. :builder:

20130825_000248.jpg

Here is the 84 I picked up saturday, not much to look at I know but its a running motor and I have a clear title.

Got the 85 running around 4am, fuel tank nearly empty, had some fair amount of water that was clear coming out the left side exhaust, it bit more than normal condensation, coolant bottle had coolant in it so I suspect after the heavy rains and the fact it was outside the airbox is wet, also has a period tic, shallow clunk, my thought was the timing belt is going, but I think what it may be doing is trying to compress water in the intake and not fuel as it runs well, did change the oil, used Rotella T6.

Went off to get some rest and breakfast, will return and pull air filter, drain fuel for a sample, add Seafoam if nothing else. And then it gets a good steam cleaning, poor thing is saturated with mud below, po driveway was half river, must have rode through that.

[url=https://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93801#p93801:3auxytzb said:
slabghost » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:57 am[/url]":3auxytzb]
You got a great deal for the price. the tires look good.
Rear is a decent Metzeler, front the same but is not holding air. May just take wheels complete and put them on the 85, same generation.

Front not holding air may be corrosion on the wheel bead. Check it over good and fix the leak. A bicycle tire pump is really not an option.

It was a torn valve stem, broke down tire and installed a threaded stem, problem fixed.
Spent today culling the herd to another building on the property including the 85 gl1200, have made plans to be in Seattle come after december to take over a 30 ft class a diesel pusher, will pick up a tandem axle trailer locally.
Plan is to hit all the local ads for cheap 80s era goldwings including the next stage of my winter vacation and that is staying at both of my sisters homes for awhile, on is in Santa Rosa, ca and the other just west of Placerville heading to Tahoe.
Plenty of cheap older Goldwings and even some Ventures, goal is to get 6 to 8 of them and haul them back to Alaska.
Very few older Goldwings and fewer less of the Venture.