3 starters in 8 months

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilcoy02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do I need to check? I have had 3 starters installed in 8 months.
Granted the first and second was China crap because it was cheap on my wallet.
I just installed the third starter and paid a bundle for it.

Should I be looking for a problem or is it the crap starters from China that is bad?

I have the alt conversion
c5 ignition
taken out the plug at the three yellow wires
Put a fuse blade in place of the dogbone.

Thanks for any input

Well.....crappy starters have no good track record, that is for sure. However, if you are going through starters, are you sure you have good battery connections to the starter, ground and the start solenoid? Bad connections that still make contact can cause low voltage and burn up starters.

How easily does your current starter turn the engine over? Does it sound like the starter clutch is hanging up at all? Are you sure the starter is disengaging from the starter clutch and not spinning after the engine starts?

+1 on all the above!

Did you open up the first 2 to find the problem? Did they both have the same symptoms, and last about the same time? I've heard plenty of bad things about the cheap Chinese starters, but also quite a few have worked well.

Any strange sounds coming from the starter area while the engine is running? If the starter clutch is hanging up, that will trash a starter real quick. None of the mods you mentioned should have a negative affect on the starter, they should actually help it with faster starts. Good luck with number 3!

When I installed the c5 I had the engine out so I checked all connections and cleaned all the connections up.
No- I have not heard any strange noises
You are correct the engine starts right up especially fast after the c5 instll.
when first one died I got a second one -the sprocket they sent did not fit so I took the head off the second one and put it on the first one and sent it back after phoning them of this. I could not see anything why the first died.
The second one I just took off and have not opened it up yet-probably will do Tues-just to look.

I can not think of any other thing to look at.

How do I check the starter clutch?

If the starter is engaging OK without any strange sounds, and dis-engaging once the engine is running, the starter clutch is OK. The only way to really check it is by removing the engine, removing the rear cover and alternator rotor. The clutch is inside the rotor. They very rarely go bad.

yes the replacement starters are junk and really need the rebuild kit put on before using ...the gears that come with them are basically grenade gears ..cheapest junk gear I have ever seem ...wes did this just right never let your gear head and gear go ...the replacement stuff is just a hauge risk in taking out the motor period ....

Cheap starters are just that normally, cheap junk. We rebuild our own starters, that means turning the armature, new brushes, bearings and bushings. At times having the armature rewound if shorted. To rebuild starters properly is costly time and material wise but it pays off in the long run.

The reason we began rebuilding our own is that most of the automotive and truck parts suppliers are putting out junk as rebuilds.

One thing I have seen is misdiagnosis of starting problems mainly from poor negative (ground) but many times poor battery connections. Always make sure your are getting full battery voltage to a starter as a first step in troubleshooting one.

..I would check the starter mounting to the motor block also, this is sometimes forgot about. IT sounds like you have checked and cleaned most everything. I would also check the battery voltage, it could show 12 volts, but drop to much at the push of the starter button. Then i would also check the running output of the Generator.

the output is a steady 14.2 from the alternator.
What do you mean the starter mounting--not sure what I am looking for on that.
I did not misdiagnose it-- after getting the starter out and trying to bench test--dead dead dead.
What voltge should be at strater be?

I am just trying to find why I am killing starters-- I am lisstening to all thoughts.
Thank You

Been doing the same here. On fourth starter. Have four in pieces on the bench taking what looks like the best to make one. Have found frayed wires. wires loose in the brush's themselves,Bad brush springs, bad bearings,broken planetary gears. First brush should be insulated if in contact with the case will cause low voltage. there is a connection from the field coils to the brush's that breaks and cooks, this needs to be clean clean clean. I have three to repair the fourth is currently in use and is starting my ride but not well. I too have gone through the grounds and cleaned. A light electrical grease between the starter and ground wire will help It is used to keep aluminum wires from corroding in the fittings on the entrance to your house buss bars. I took the start solenoid apart and cleaned it as well, and do recall it gave me the most improvement. The wires themselves can be offering resistance instead continuity and should be checked with an analog volt meter. Have been told a digital will not always be able to provide you with accurate readings. I have no meter at this time and a friend came and attempted to read with a digital, gave up and took the starter to his work bench. Brought it back without telling me the voltage readings and only two more starts. I pulled the starter again to see his craftsmanship and he had assembled the starter out of alignment. This two is important to get right and can also be a reason for a bad ground. also note the washers on the commutator need to be present. If you shake the starter or rock it back and forth and feel a clunking or movement. the washers are missing misaligning the brush's on the commutator. I am saving for another starter but have to make what I have do for now. Hope this helps.

well at least I know it is not just me. Sorry you too are having problems. I finally plunked out the big bucks to buy ana merican starter--WRONG--made in Tiwain not real happy about that but hope better than the china junk.

I finally plunked out the big bucks to buy ana merican starter--WRONG--made in Tiwain not real happy about that but hope better than the china junk.

Remember these are Asian motorcycles so you aren't going to get a new starter made in America. Most likely the new starter is going to give you the performance and longevity you desire, and yes they are more money but most likely you will get what you paid for.