79 GL1000 build (on the cheap)

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth0941

Reaction score
So I just got a 79 GL1000 (my favorite style) and I plan on getting it ready for a ling ride.

Here is what I know about it.

I bought it at a dealer for $800 and was told that it has been sitting for 10 years but last started about 6 months ago.

This is my first wing so bear with me...

Here is a photo of it at the dealer

3Eb3Md3J85L35F55J3ccn1cf37e61f27f1a96_zps8a166dde.jpg

I got the bike home and have found that both front and rear brakes need gone through.

The front master is toast and the front calipers need rebuilt.

The rear master is fine but the caliper also needs rebuilt.

The front brakes are missing hardware, anyone have some they are willing to part with? (see photo)

Capture1-1_zps94a00162.png

Some photos of it the day I got it.

The fairing is a Pacifico, I don't know if I like it.

PICT0121_zpse21a7c9e.jpg

PICT0122_zps6a96237f.jpg

PICT0123_zps4d66a3c8.jpg

PICT0124_zps1d6ce002.jpg

PICT0125_zps5d6b25b7.jpg

I kinda like the 1/2 bagger look, anyone have some GL1100 bags they are willing to part with?

PICT0126_zps6c95d32b.jpg

PICT0127_zpsca924165.jpg

PICT0128_zps1db0fc89.jpg

PICT0129_zps53eb514e.jpg

PICT0130_zps493ad478.jpg

PICT0131_zpsbea2c216.jpg

Some bad news, looks like it may have a bad head gasket... Not very happy.

PICT0133_zps210300d4.jpg

Before you start pulling the heads, check the water pump. It is a fairly common area for coolant and oil to mix. The pump impeller should have NO play side-to-side or up & down. If it's bad, the front cover has to come off. It's not fun, but neither is doing head gaskets!

She's a very nice lookin' bike!

Steve83":3oxejc2m said:
Before you start pulling the heads, check the water pump. It is a fairly common area for coolant and oil to mix. The pump impeller should have NO play side-to-side or up & down. If it's bad, the front cover has to come off. It's not fun, but neither is doing head gaskets!

She's a very nice lookin' bike!

Thank you for the heads up.. I am going to do a pressure test on it and go from there.

Love the color of that bike!

There are not many of those Pacifico fairings around anymore and that one appears to be in great shape. Might want to hang on to it (it does have some value!)

Nice find!

They did a decent job installing those aftermarket mufflers.

All in all I think you got a pretty good deal even if head gaskets and water pump need replaced.
They are pretty much the norm on these bikes and not that hard to do.

I pulled the timing belt covers to inspect the belts and they look new. Someone also replaced some of the hardware.

PICT0135_zps2b9d0749.jpg

PICT0136-1_zps3565ffa4.jpg

you sould laeave the covers off for awhile to you get it all running better...rather easy to place radiator with top and hoses on ...crank bolt works well for turnimg motor motor by hand ....take plugs out and they turm rather easy

Congratulations! Great find for the money! :mrgreen:

[Of course, check those belt tensions while it's open. Alot of folks let the idler spring determine this, but doesn't work when they're older.]

Very unusual seat on that bugger. I do like the look as it is without fairing. It will be great to get that beauty back in service.

I like those bags. I had them on other bikes and they are great. The Pacifico is a cool looking fairing IMHO and you have something a bit different than everyone else. That is going to be a nice bike.

dlslick":kkm80fr4 said:
I like those bags. I had them on other bikes and they are great. The Pacifico is a cool looking fairing IMHO and you have something a bit different than everyone else. That is going to be a nice bike.

I think the bags look ok but I hate side open bags. On my dual sport I used ammo cans. I was thinking about trying to find some GL1100 bags.

PICT0047-1.jpg

So last-night I gave it some thought.. I am going to keep the fairing so I rewired it. Whoever had wired it up did it wrong. It was a mess, they only had 1 14ga ground wire for ALL the lights including the headlight. I just wish I had some pockets for it. I wrapped the wiring as best I could and tried to tuck it out of the way.

PICT0140-1_zps0a38d51d.jpg

PICT0139-1_zpsf34dbe01.jpg

PICT0138_zpscf2e0185.jpg

Congrats on your fight with diabetes, that's great to hear your doing much better!
The bike is just a material item, your health is number 1.

I can hear in your voice your disappointment in some of the work that needs to be done.
Rightly so but just keep plugging away like you have been. Your doing this bike up nice and the right way! :salute:

Latest posts