'81 1100 Standard - Restore and Sell

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Complete flush of the brake lines one more time and then bleed both sides. To bleed, I used an automobile brake caliper tool for pushing calipers apart to hold the pistons all the way in while performing the initial bleeding. That way I know there is no air in the calipers. Opened the caliper tool to allow the pistons halfway out and then squeezed them back in again to force any air back up to the master and be sure the return hole is clear. Assembled on the wheel and did a final bleed. Installed the new reservoir last week.

image.php

Forks were not real bad, but not looking too good either. There was a lot more clearcoat still remaining on them than was on my '82 forks. This made cleaning them up a bit harder. Still used paint remover, windshield repair kit to clean and buff the aluminum and finally aluminum polish. The camera batteries died before the final step.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186049#p186049:1w5oxsbu said:
mcgovern61 » January 16th, 2017, 12:54 pm[/url]":1w5oxsbu]
Carbs are off the bike! :yahoo:

Carbs needs a serious cleaning and rebuild. :cheeky:

There are leaks at almost every seal. One of the idle pilot screws are broken off. There is nasty black bits and goo stuck all over the place. There is that wonderful green nasty slime from carbs that sat for nearly 2 years with gas in them. The float valves are all stuck in place. With some careful persuasion, I got them out only to find even more nasty black goo.

image.php

image.php

image.php

This going to be our first carb cleaning and rebuild in house. Wish us luck! :yes:

Wow! And i thought mine were bad .

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186463#p186463:hhq86nzr said:
joedrum » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:35 pm[/url]":hhq86nzr]
yep looks real good !!!!! glad someone used my advice on the return hole ..seems like a great brake job you did
Worked great Joe! :thanks:

Good progress today. Colleen took the tank, front fender and side covers up to the tub and gave them a real good washing. Boy, they sure turned out nice. The paint is in great condition and is already near new in shine. We will buff them up a bit and set them aside for now.

Pulled the radiator, timing belt covers and, lo and behold, there are two fairly new Honda timing belts on the bike. The lettering on the part numbers on the belts has barely even started to change from pure white yet! The bike only has a little over 600 miles since the PO bought it 3 years ago. I guess when he took it to Honda after purchase, they did the timing belts, oil, antifreeze, tires and fork seals. I know he stopped them at the carbs because they wanted $650 in labor alone to clean the carbs.

Even though the oil looks new, we will be changing it because I am sure gas has leaked into the oil. The antifreeze checks out good with the hydrometer. The water pump is original, but tight enough that I am OK with the next owner deciding if they want a new one. Granted, this one is original from '81, but the bike only has less than 21K miles on it.

Tested the ultrasonic cleaner on the gas cap (which was very rusty). First, we soaked it in white vinegar and then into the cleaner for 3 cycles with distilled water only. As soon as it turned on, rust disintegrated and flowed away in a cloud in the water. It came out looking like white metal after sand blasting! Hit it with WD40 and put it back for now.

No pictures until I get batteries for the camera. :doh:

[url=https://classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=186739#p186739:3986ht8b said:
brianinpa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:17 pm[/url]":3986ht8b]
It may be soon time to take a ride to NJ...
Come on down! (Not tomorrow though........it is going to snow 6"-8" and both bikes are back in the garage.)

Colleen cleaned up the tank, front fender and side covers. The paint looks so good, I do not think we are gonna worry about polish;

image.php

The infamous timing belts (that do not need to be changed!)

image.php

Radiator cleaned out nicely, timing covers cleaned up and some of the surface grease off the engine.

:thanks:

From gas leaking onto the engine, some of the engine paint is damaged. We have most of the stuff off the engine now and we need to drop the exhaust because the seals are leaking, so we are think of dropping the engine and giving the engine of the old girl a fresh coat of paint.

Latest posts