81 gl 1100 upstate ny

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingding

Reaction score
Ok boys here we go I got her home sprayed everything I can see with pb blaster and put some pb into the cylinders

Drain the coolant, remove the lower hose inlet (2 bolts) and see if there's any sideways movement of the water pump. There should be none! Remove the timing belt covers (2 bolts each) and you can try turning the engine using the crankshaft bolt CLOCKWISE!! That's looking at it from the front of the bike. If there's any resistance - with the spark plugs removed - DO NOT FORCE IT!!! It's much easier with the radiator removed, and a good time to clean it up as well.

If it turns over nicely, change the oil and filter and replace the timing belts. Oil filters and timing belts are cheap at Amazon.com. (Gates T-274 belts)

Check the inside of the gas tank.

If I were you, I'd be taking lots of pics along the way. You'll appreciate 'em later!

As Steve said especially the pictures as it would be cool to see what you are seeing :good:

How do you drain the coolant is there a plug

Attachments

• 2013-08-03 19.38.49.jpg
    2013-08-03 19.38.49.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 213
Yup, right under the lower radiator hose, should be a 14mm drain bolt. It's in the water pump cover, not the front engine cover. The one in the lower center of the front cover is the oil drain.

Ok so I did all of that photos will follow but it does not turn freely I have pushed this bike while in gear and I can see on the belt where it had turned.

O I see funny thing is that first post was a mis type I put atf in the cylinders. Just put p. In a couple hours ago haha. The rear plugs looked great the front plugs were a little rusty

ATF is good for the cylinders also. Rust on the plugs usually means rust on the cylinder walls. Give them a few days to soak good. That water pump is a replacement, and it looks good. Did it have any sideways movement? How many miles on the bike?

You're doin good so far! :good: :clapping:

No side ways movement whatsoever. The odometer says 56 thousand. Might have rolled over think I should but more atf in I just put a couple capfuls. In each one

Attachments

• 2013-08-04 17.51.51.jpg
    2013-08-04 17.51.51.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 171
More pics

Attachments

• 2013-08-04 18.03.40.jpg
    2013-08-04 18.03.40.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 2013-08-04 18.03.23.jpg
    2013-08-04 18.03.23.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 132
Cool! Lookin' good so far... Let the ATF and PB do its wonderous work, and in a day or so try little movements on the crank bolt. A little back-n-forth is OK, but mainly clockwise. If you turn it backwards, it will engage the starter clutch - won't hurt anything, but adds resistance turning the starter motor.

You might try removing the intake elbows to see what the ports and valves look like. If a valve stem is rusted, it could stick open and contact the piston - not what you want! You don't need to completely remove the elbows. Loosen the clamp on the boot, remove the 2 bolts, and twist the elbow to the side.

I filled the cylinders with atf . Could this be bad. Also the starter has been removed that was sposta be the only thing he knew of wrong with it.so does this mean I can turn both ways?

Attachments

• 2013-08-04 18.52.38.jpg
    2013-08-04 18.52.38.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 127
Not bad to fill the cylinders, just might be a bit messy. At least one will have an open exhaust valve, so that ATF went into the exhaust pipes/muffler. Be prepared for some smoke when it's running! A small piece of hose can be used to suck out the ATF/PB through the plug holes. Be sure the spark plugs are out when you try turning the crankshaft.

If the starter is off, be careful turning the engine in either direction. There is a chain and small sprocket that the starter shaft goes into, and you don't want it getting lost or tangled in the case. Bench test the starter with jumper cables - it might be OK. If the engine is not turning, the starter can't turn, so it might have appeared to be bad. It's a good idea to have it in place when turning the engine.

Don't forget to check those intake valve stems!

No starter diddnt come with one.are those the valve stems your talking about in the last photo if so I diddnt see so much as a spot of rust thanks