81interstate mods

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

81 Gwing

Reaction score
what are some BOLT ON mod that can be done to a 81 1100?? like wheels, maybe a complete front end to get the wheels. i really like the 1200 wheels. how bout the intake setup from a 1200. what can be uesd from the 1200 for my 1100

The wheels on the 12 are smaller in diameter.. and were accompanied by a wide aspect tire also.. not sure if you can find a 81 type tire in a small width to fit.. and I think you may have issues with brakes fitment also .. not sure if 82 or 3 would be better option.. you will see rooms increase going to smaller diameter tire...

I'm pretty sure the entire front of a 1200 will fit. 1200 carb rack is wider and angled a bit differently but I think with careful modification it can be made to fit. Might be easier to put the 1200 motor in and not modify the carbs.

Welcome to Classics from PA!

Lots of stuff that can be done, just depends on your budget and your tools. :builder:

If in doubt, take a look at NGWClub.com and peruse their gallery. :shock:

Welcome from Southern California! The 1200 engine is about 14mm wider than the 1100 at the heads, but the bottom end is the same, so it will bolt in. You can narrow a 1200 air intake (plenum) so the rack will bolt up to an 1100, but the 1200 ports are smaller. The front end is probably the easiest mod if you're wanting to combine the two. Anything is possible, given the tools, time, talent, and cash!

the best thing on a 1200 to put on 1100 is the short block motor ...it is better and more robust than the previous oldwing 4 motors ...seems everything else like carbs and heads is somewhat lesser than previous oldwings ... is my opinion ...as i have a 1000 frame 1200 with 1100 heads on it ..also early cams from 75-77 1000 and weber carbed induction system ... the gear spread is very good on 1200 motors ....

welcome to classic