82 front brake problem

Classic Goldwings

Help Support Classic Goldwings:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwinger

Reaction score
Just aquired 82 1100.Haveing problem with front breaks not backing off of rotor. Calipers were stuck when I got bike. I replaced caliper seals although I found nothing wrong with the ones in it, pistions are good cleaned everthing up with aluminum foil. Master cylinder pumps well but had alot of rust in it. I removed all brake fluid in it and lines flushed with denuaturad alcohol serveral times untill I got clear fluid.The lines look good. Bled with mighty mite.Could if I didn't get all air out be the problem. Pads are thin but still have a little llife in them. Ordered full set of pads but not here yet. Is it possible if pistons are not extened as much it will cure porblem. Also tryed to remove resevior to get at that little hole but can't get it loose. Whats the trick for that? If I get much rougher its gonna brake. Also I just looked at new after market master cylinder on ebay I think its from china and the line hooks on front side of resevior. Anyone know anything about them??? They said for all Goldwings. Jerry

Couple of things Jerry:

In the crossover tube (behind the forks under the triple tree), a piece of rust could be stuck not letting the pressure out (kinda like a check valve).

If the pistons are near fully extended, they can stick. New pads would most definately help.

Gotta clean out that return hole in the MC, it is the most likely problem.

I Have not used an aftermarket MC yet, but I question where you would get parts to rebuild it in the future?

Just some thoughts!

Gerry

New pads arrived this afternoon. Installed front pads then bled with mighty mite. It didn't blead like it should. Air always in fluid. Got good pressure on brake handle. So took it for a test ride without useing front brakes.then checked. rotor's to see if they got hot. They got fairly warm. Know it was time to use front brake after several stop signs rode for a while to see if they cooled off Stoped and checked rotor's they were very warm brakes were draging. Rode back home and rebled then retested again. They got better but still not right. I did this again.They got a little better. I still think I need to clear release hole in master but it seems to be clearing it self some I hope. I'm almost sure resevior will break to get it off. Any thoght's on how to do it. Might try a couple very thin oak wedges. This the last thing to get this new to me bike ready for the road. this makes three goldwings Yea!!!! 77, 80 with sidecar and trailer and now 82 Jerry

Front calipers should be tilted to bleed. If the bleeder isn't straight up you'll never get the last air out.

Thanks for the replys guys. I tryed useing bungy on brake lever just one night.( Joes sugestion) It seemed much better next day. Bungy pulled handle all the way in. Rotors still warm when not useing front brakes through. Haven't tryed tilting calipers yet. Still haven't tryed to get resivior off again. So much to do before meet at Joes haven't done any more to it. But I like the gearing on the 82 it is different than my 80. Picking up 300 or so rpm's at highway speeds 55, 60 and 70 mph. Thanks Jerry

Just so you know there is no return mechanism for the caliper pistons. They usually do have some contact.

slabghost":k9yhct66 said:
Just so you know there is no return mechanism for the caliper pistons. They usually do have some contact.
I would expect this alone to warm up the rotors.

jpwinger":3nx4dxyk said:
Also I just looked at new after market master cylinder on ebay I think its from china and the line hooks on front side of resevior. Anyone know anything about them??? They said for all Goldwings. Jerry
i've seen 2 diff offerings, one comes from china but there is another one from a US seller

I just rebuilt my entire front brake setup on my 81. The resevoir will come off. I used a thin scewdriver to open a gap then used two big double fister flat blade screwdrivers to pry the resevoir off. I thought it would brake, but the plastic was way tougher than I was. I found a lot of buildup underneath the resvoir around the o-ring that holds the resevoir down. This was probable causing my o-ring to not roll which is probably why it was so hard. Once you get that far brake cleaner and scraping takes forever, but it sure helped the brakes on mine.

jpwinger":9vc5669m said:
... I removed all brake fluid in it and lines flushed with denuaturad alcohol serveral times untill I got clear fluid.The lines look good. ...
My main problem turned out to be lines that were plugged so cleaning the bleed hole should fix it for you. A wire out of a wire wheel was the right size for my bike. Goodluck

Latest posts